Rechargeable batteries.
Oct 29, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #16 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
Still, even if you leave them in this charger for a while fully charged and it's not affecting the battery, keep in mind the batteries are still going to get HOT. Who knows, you could fry your charger. Our AA one gets pretty hot once it's done charging.

They're supposed to cool down after the charger has stopped charging. If they don't something's wrong.

Oct 30, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #17 of 64
doesnt nonrechargeable alkaline batteries give the best sound? in terms of pure juice? they seemed to at least with the old walkmans.
for me medical grade duracells make the juice the sweetest. especially when they are free

Oct 30, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #18 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
doesnt nonrechargeable alkaline batteries give the best sound? in terms of pure juice? they seemed to at least with the old walkmans.
for me medical grade duracells make the juice the sweetest. especially when they are free

Actually, all throwaway alkalines slowly lose voltage as they are being used. They may provide optimal performance only for the first couple of hours of use - and for most of the lifespan of the throwaway alkaline, the sound quality will be no better than that produced with most rechargeable NiMH batteries.

Oct 30, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #19 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by ticobill
I used them in my JMT META 42, I think the enclosure was the same (I hope so, since I need to order a PIMETA from him and I was planning on using the Plainviews). To be sure, send him an e-mail, he always answered mine promptly unless he was away on business.

Bill

I sent JMT an email about it and he responded promptly, letting me know that the Plainviews fit fine--in fact, he uses them himself in his portable PIMETA. Thanks for the help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spent&Bent
I use a "Energizer" charger with built-in timer control.
It switches off automatically after 15 hours of trickle charging and works great. I'm using it with a step up transformer since it's a 120 v model.

model is CHM4AA btw, it charges both 9 v and other battery types.

Sweet! I have the exact same charger, same model # and everything. It should work great with the two Plainviews I just ordered from Norm.

-Chad

Oct 30, 2004 at 4:23 AM Post #20 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coalescent
I sent JMT an email about it and he responded promptly, letting me know that the Plainviews fit fine--in fact, he uses them himself in his portable PIMETA. Thanks for the help.

Sweet! I have the exact same charger, same model # and everything. It should work great with the two Plainviews I just ordered from Norm.

-Chad

BE CAREFUL! That Energizer charger outputs only 9.0V when charging "9V" size batteries! The Plainview batteries REQUIRE a charger capable of outputting at least 10.5V when charging "9V" size batteries; otherwise, the charger and/or the batteries will burn out! In fact, 9.0V charging output may be too low to properly charge even 8.4V batteries of the "9V" size. That Energizer charger is designed to charge only the 7.2V variety of the "9V" size batteries, IMHO.

Oct 30, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #21 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Jahn,

I wouldn't keep the plainviews in the charger. 9V rechargeables are more sensitive than AA's. I suspect that charger has too high a charging current to trickle charge continuesly.
What you can do if you don't want to keep track of the time is use a (I'm gonna dicribe it because I don't know what it's called in English.) timing device you connect between the wall and a lamp if you want the light to go on and off again after a couple of hours when you're not home. If you set such a timer on 8pm -11am (just to give an example, you can of course start at any given time) the charger will stop charging after 15 hours without you having to keep track whether to unplug it yet.

that is a great idea, i know just what you mean - i think rat shack has one of those!

Oct 30, 2004 at 9:38 AM Post #22 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
BE CAREFUL! That Energizer charger outputs only 9.0V when charging "9V" size batteries! The Plainview batteries REQUIRE a charger capable of outputting at least 10.5V when charging "9V" size batteries; otherwise, the charger and/or the batteries will burn out! In fact, 9.0V charging output may be too low to properly charge even 8.4V batteries of the "9V" size. That Energizer charger is designed to charge only the 7.2V variety of the "9V" size batteries, IMHO.

Ack! What chargers out there will do this for me, at a reasonable price? Anyone have any recommendations? I wonder what the charger Norm sells puts out...

I looked around on the web a bit, and found a Maya charger that seems like it might fit the bill, but I'm not sure the Plainviews are "fast charge capable."

-Chad

Oct 30, 2004 at 10:13 AM Post #23 of 64
Quote:

Thanks for the warning, I didn't have any problems up to this point but will use the "official" plainview charger instead then, even though that one doesn't have a timer and can only charge one at the time
confused.gif

Oct 30, 2004 at 6:15 PM Post #24 of 64
Quote:

Quote:

We strongly recommend the use of the New MAHA POWEREX 10 CHANNEL COMMERCIAL 9V FAST / SMART CHARGER - MH-C1090F or the NEW MH-C490F 4 Cell 9V model. Other chargers will not bring this 9.6V to full voltage unless they have a charging output voltage of at least 10 .5 volts while charging ( under load ) and may shorten the batteries useful life. Normally if you have been using a non-recommended charger for charging these 9.6V batteries, they often can be revived by simply charging them in a MH-C1090F or the MH-C490F 9V Charger..

source :
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mh-96v170.htm

Burn out?

Anyway, it sound like there's some truth to it mixed with a bit of a sales pitch...
IMHO

Oct 30, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #25 of 64
I used the MAHA MH-C1090f Charger (it had a light that came on for each individual battery that told me when it was charged) it worked great, all I had to do was walk by every hour or so and take out the batteries that were charged (I had 4 plainviews). It also has a neat feature that quick-charges the middle two batteries so you have a choice which way you want to charge them. You already know the downside to this charger, more than I wanted to spend but it fit the bill-could charge all 4 overnight so my wife and I were ready to go in the morning (used it mostly for travelling and I always wait till the last minute to do things).

Bill

Oct 30, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #26 of 64
I've been using MAHA 9Vs with my Go-Vibe for a couple of months.

Since these are the only rechargeable 9Vs I've ever used, I have no basis for comparison to others (don't know how the size compares to the Plainviews). I can only state that I've been very happy with them. The 4-battery charger works well and doesn't cost a fortune.

Oct 30, 2004 at 10:21 PM Post #27 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spent&Bent
Thanks for the warning, I didn't have any problems up to this point but will use the "official" plainview charger instead then, even though that one doesn't have a timer and can only charge one at the time
confused.gif

actually it charges 2 at a time
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #28 of 64
so is a charge also important
I got the one from norm but I was thinking af getting an AAA/AA/9v on one charger. Would it be a good idea or should I stick with norm PoweriZer 9V?

Oct 31, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #29 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
actually it charges 2 at a time
smily_headphones1.gif

not mine, it's a little white thing with just a red led and the american two-pin power connector in addition to a single block connector.
there's plainview written on it so I figure it's specially meant for the plainviews....

Oct 31, 2004 at 11:05 PM Post #30 of 64
Spent&Bent,

You're right. Jahn has the one Norm sells now. I think that might be another brand. Like dthiep said.

Another thing, I charged my MAHA 9V in my ansmann charger last night as usual and this time I though I messure the voltage. I was 11.04V after it had been on trickle charge for a couple of hours. So I guess that the Ansmann with its 10.15v while charging is fine.

I suggest you try charging one plainview in the plainview charger and the other in the energizer. If they messure about the same voltage afterwards and last equally long than the energizer charger is fine.

Just my logical thinking, maybe there are some other things that come into play....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back