Rechargeable batteries.
Oct 25, 2004 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

Blitzula

Headphoneus Supremus
Could someone please tell me if there is a particular battery charger and rechargeable battery brand that is good for the XP-7? It runs on two nine volts. Thanks
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 64
I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the XP-7. But the SR-71 sounds great with Plainview 9v batteries you can get from Norm at headsave.com But for the tiny SR71 enclosure, the Plainviews don't quite fit - they are a bit long, so I dremel them down to fit - yeah, i'm not reselling these batts anytime soon. Don't worry the casing is plastic, just stop short of sanding down to the metal cells inside!

Oct 25, 2004 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
I've heard Plainview several times now. Do you use a particular charger?

Yep! The one Norm sells that he says trickle charges the plainviews nicely - 15 hours to charge up slow, $10!

Oct 25, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 64
Ack, Plainviews are oversized? Has anyone here ever used one in a JMT portable PIMETA? I was thinking about buying one for use in that, but I'm not sure it'll fit in the Elpac enclosure now...

-Chad

Oct 25, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #6 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Yep! The one Norm sells that he says trickle charges the plainviews nicely - 15 hours to charge up slow, $10!

Do you have to know when to unplug that? I'm looking for a charger that just keeps batteries fully charged, without me having to check up on them.

Oct 25, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 64
Quote:

Do you have to know when to unplug that? I'm looking for a charger that just keeps batteries fully charged, without me having to check up on them.

hmm sorta. they don't stop charging, they'll go over 15 hours if you dont unplug it. a tad inconvenient.

Oct 25, 2004 at 11:10 PM Post #8 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
hmm sorta. they don't stop charging, they'll go over 15 hours if you dont unplug it. a tad inconvenient.

NiMH batteries you should be able to just leave continuosly on trickle charge without damaging them. DON'T DO THIS WITH ANY OTHER KIND OF BATTERIES.

Oct 25, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnewman
NiMH batteries you should be able to just leave continuosly on trickle charge without damaging them. DON'T DO THIS WITH ANY OTHER KIND OF BATTERIES.

Ah cool, the Plainviews are indeed NiMH. So I can just plug em in and forget em.

Oct 29, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #10 of 64
Ack, Plainviews are oversized? Has anyone here ever used one in a JMT portable PIMETA? I was thinking about buying one for use in that, but I'm not sure it'll fit in the Elpac enclosure now...

I used them in my JMT META 42, I think the enclosure was the same (I hope so, since I need to order a PIMETA from him and I was planning on using the Plainviews). To be sure, send him an e-mail, he always answered mine promptly unless he was away on business.

Bill

Oct 29, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #11 of 64
The questions that no one has answered thus far, mein fomenting jalapenos, are: (i) whether the XP-7's battery compartment is the same size as that of the SR-71 and (ii) whether the Plainviews fit inside the XP-7's compartment comfortably, sans uh-whittlin' 'n' uh-sandin'-uhhhhhrrrruuuuhhhhnnnnnn. . . . (and now, if you'll excuse me, I must return to tonight's program, Madam Curie and Her Best Durned L'il Brothel in Salt Pool City, Utah, sans Cactus Carbuncle Witherin' Serum, ¡Olé!)

Oct 29, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #12 of 64
Jahn,

I wouldn't keep the plainviews in the charger. 9V rechargeables are more sensitive than AA's. I suspect that charger has too high a charging current to trickle charge continuesly.
What you can do if you don't want to keep track of the time is use a (I'm gonna dicribe it because I don't know what it's called in English.) timing device you connect between the wall and a lamp if you want the light to go on and off again after a couple of hours when you're not home. If you set such a timer on 8pm -11am (just to give an example, you can of course start at any given time) the charger will stop charging after 15 hours without you having to keep track whether to unplug it yet.

Oct 29, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #13 of 64
Quote:

Ansmann Energy 4 (Or Energy 8, or 16)

Oct 29, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #14 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Jahn,

I wouldn't keep the plainviews in the charger. 9V rechargeables are more sensitive than AA's. I suspect that charger has too high a charging current to trickle charge continuesly.
What you can do if you don't want to keep track of the time is use a (I'm gonna dicribe it because I don't know what it's called in English.) timing device you connect between the wall and a lamp if you want the light to go on and off again after a couple of hours when you're not home. If you set such a timer on 8pm -11am (just to give an example, you can of course start at any given time) the charger will stop charging after 15 hours without you having to keep track whether to unplug it yet.

Excellent point. Those timers should do the trick.

Now we actually have this fancy charger that stops the flow of electricity once the AA's are charged (these are for our digital camera). You can tell they're charged because the red LED goes off. Fancy circuitry. This is also a nice slow charger.

Still, even if you leave them in this charger for a while fully charged and it's not affecting the battery, keep in mind the batteries are still going to get HOT. Who knows, you could fry your charger. Our AA one gets pretty hot once it's done charging.

We'll see. I've got a pair of Plainviews and a charger en route from Norm. In the meantime I don't have a battery and my music sounds very boring.
frown.gif

Oct 29, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #15 of 64
I use a "Energizer" charger with built-in timer control.
It switches off automatically after 15 hours of trickle charging and works great.
I'm using it with a step up transformer since it's a 120 v model.

model is CHM4AA btw, it charges both 9 v and other battery types.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back