Rechargeable AAs?
Dec 23, 2009 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Kirosia

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking for some reputable rechargeable AAs, mainly for my TV remote and wireless mouse.

Dec 23, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 19
Check out Sanyo Eneloops, they have a very slow self discharge rate. I think they would be perfect for remotes and mice.

Eneloops also come precharged and are said to hold 75-80% of their charge for a year.

Dec 23, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 19
I would say that unless you are changing batteries for a device more frequently than once a month, use disposable alkalines. IMO rechargeable batteries are unnecessary for TV remotes.

Dec 23, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say that unless you are changing batteries for a device more frequently than once a month, use disposable alkalines. IMO rechargeable batteries are unnecessary for TV remotes.

A couple of my remotes have lights and the batteries need to be replaced a few times a year. If I happen to toss something on top of it and the light button gets pressed, the battery's gone. It's happened twice. For these remotes, rechargeable batteries might make sense. The batteries in my other remotes last for a couple of years, by which time any battery is old and should probably be replaced. For those, there's no sense spending the money for rechargeable batteries, and there's no environmental advantage either.

I've tried rechargeable batteries in the remotes before. They lose their charge frequently. Maybe these would be useful in those lighted remotes.

Dec 23, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 19
Well my PC mouse eats batteries fairly quick, so I figure kill two birds with one stone.

Dec 23, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foshizzle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out Sanyo Eneloops, they have a very slow self discharge rate. I think they would be perfect for remotes and mice.

Eneloops also come precharged and are said to hold 75-80% of their charge for a year.

X2

Dec 24, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foshizzle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x3

Only AA rechargeables I'd even consider.

Dec 24, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #11 of 19
Dec 24, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x4. Eneloops are amazing.

X5 I use Eneloops in all my portable flashes, and they're great, cause I can charge them, and depend on them being good to go even if they've sat around for a few months. They also don't get as hot as alkalines, and charge the flashes quicker. And, I've probably saved well over 300 dollars in battery costs this year. And I've not thrown away any batteries. That's 5 wins.
biggrin.gif

edit: and I can spend that 300 on a portable amp. 6 wins.

Dec 25, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x4. Eneloops are amazing.

x6

i had a set of 4 AAs i bought in Las Vegas 3 years ago.. forgot all about the unused/sealed package as these batteries became available in Hong Kong and eventually in my country where i sourced other batches of purchase... several months ago i saw the long forgotten brand new & still sealed AAs..without charging i put these on Canon 580ex expecting nothing.. to my surprise the set fired more than 200 flash !!! ..

i threw away other type of rechargeable.. good bye nicad and nickel-metal

Eneloops changed the history of rechargeable batteries ... all my remote controls at home have these.. even toys of our children and grandchildren
biggrin.gif

btw, eneloop batteries prefer slower charging rate.. i use 200mAh (based on the oem eneloop charger) for AAAs and AAs

here is my favorite battery charger.. very good for eneloop if you do not have the oem eneloop charger
LA CROSSE TECHNOLOGY BC-900 Battery Charger LCD 8 EnergyOn Batteries Included

actual pictures
ivbbb7.jpg

x6idy9.jpg

cheers !!!
beerchug.gif

Dec 25, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #14 of 19
x7 on the eneloops. They never lose their charge so they're perfect for remotes. I also have some GS Yuasa AAAs which work well in my calculator.

Dec 25, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bass_nut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw, eneloop batteries prefer slower charging rate.. i use 200mAh (based on the oem eneloop charger) for AAAs and AAs

here is my favorite battery charger.. very good for eneloop if you do not have the oem eneloop charger
LA CROSSE TECHNOLOGY BC-900 Battery Charger LCD 8 EnergyOn Batteries Included

actual pictures
ivbbb7.jpg

x6idy9.jpg

cheers !!!
beerchug.gif

That is exactly what I have. Best charger I have found. Set it at 200mAh and leave it overnight. 4 fresh batteries. No hassle at all. I juggle 4 sets of 4 AAs. Money very well spent, especially for my Nikon flash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back