recent newegg + ups shipping experience
Jul 24, 2008 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Xanatos

100+ Head-Fier
i need to share this, so i'll share it here.

i received a package today for parts for a pc i'm building. shipped with ups from newegg, ordered on monday before 2pm est and received on wed. that's quite fast imo.

i was shocked when i received the box - one flap on top was open, presumably due to crap quality tape used by newegg. D;

in the box, were a motherboard, cpu cooler, arctic silver 5, and ram. the cpu cooler, as5, and ram were fine between the packing peanuts. the motherboard however was right on top, exposed by the open flap. (perhaps, it was package better with peanuts surrounding the motherboard, but when the box opened partly, maybe the ups guy adding the motherboard on top to prevent peanuts from scattering.)

well, the parts seem ok. i won't know for sure until next week when everything arrives.

other note: i ordered a oem hard drive from zipzoomfly because supposedly they ship oem hard drives in nice foam casings, whereas newegg just wraps oem hard drives in bubble wrap with packing peanuts. zzf seems to ship slower than newegg.

:\

Jul 24, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 7
Newegg's been a bit disappointing lately because of their shipping prices. Got a DOA cpu not too long ago and the RMA process was easy, but instead of automatically going to newegg any more, I cross-shop the online computer stores.

Jul 24, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #3 of 7
I love the delicate clanking of a disturbed, densely packed box of carabiners. I don't climb or anything, but I find that I must get a new one about every 3 months. Oh that anodized beauty: screw gates, wire gates, straight gates, whatever. I love carabiners.

A project of mine is to put together a wind chime from carabiners and quickdraws.

Jul 24, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #4 of 7
I order $1000+ monthly from Newegg, and I've received a few beat up packages (though none to the extent described in the original post), but I've yet to receive a single DOA item from them. Even in the case of a "OEM" motherboard that was literally tossed into a UPS box with no padding or protection to speak of, booted right up.

While I find it irritating that they will place items directly onto the floor of a box, while pouring peanuts over top only, it's yet to have been a problem for me, coming from a pretty large sample size (hundreds of packages).

I agree that ZZF packages their things better, but they usually do take a day longer to ship than Newegg. For me, that is mitigated by the fact that ground shipping to me takes one day from ZZF, 2 from the Egg. However, ZZF has a much more limited stock. I order from them when I can, however that hasn't been very often.

Jul 24, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I order $1000+ monthly from Newegg, and I've received a few beat up packages (though none to the extent described in the original post), but I've yet to receive a single DOA item from them. Even in the case of a "OEM" motherboard that was literally tossed into a UPS box with no padding or protection to speak of, booted right up.

While I find it irritating that they will place items directly onto the floor of a box, while pouring peanuts over top only, it's yet to have been a problem for me, coming from a pretty large sample size (hundreds of packages).

I agree that ZZF packages their things better, but they usually do take a day longer to ship than Newegg. For me, that is mitigated by the fact that ground shipping to me takes one day from ZZF, 2 from the Egg. However, ZZF has a much more limited stock. I order from them when I can, however that hasn't been very often.

I've ordered quite a bit and the AMD cpu was the only thing I've ever gotten that's been DOA. It seems that recently, though, the processing and actual shipping of the product takes longer. Two years ago, I could order something in the morning and it'd be shipped out that afternoon. None of the orders I've put in this year in morning hours have shipped out any sooner than the next day. One order took close to two full days to ship.

I just don't get their shipping prices, either. I've looked at some cables and fans and the like, and a lot of times, the standard shipping costs more than the product. I REALLY don't like how they stack all the individual shipping costs for all the items, instead of having a baseline scale - say $10 for orders up to $100, $15 for $101-300, etc - for everything but large things like monitors and cases. Somehow I don't think it quite makes sense that if I add a 120mm fan to an order, I should be charged an extra $6 S&H fee for it.

Jul 24, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #6 of 7
True, although I haven't always found that the shipping costs stack in a linear fashion. Ordering say, a computer case, with a $15-20 shipping charge, often causes subsequent items, even though they come in a separate box, to have a lower than advertised shipping cost.

I really can't complain about their shipping costs generally though, since even after paying CA tax AND their shipping, they are generally still the cheapest option, and often by a pretty wide margin. Only when ordering small or more off-beat items do I find them not to suit the task.

Jul 25, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #7 of 7
Yeah be careful with some of newegg's shipping rates.

I wanted to buy 2 90mm case fans and 2 floppy cables from them only to find out the shipping was $22-cheapest from CA to PA! Less than 1lb of stuff for $22 shipping? F that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back