Recent Finds: An all vinyl thread
May 9, 2003 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Audio Redneck

Spaceman Spiff
This is a thread about vinyl. And bargins. And "Ureka! Theres Gould in them thar thrift shops and garage sales!" Zowie's recent post got me to wanting to post this. I hound out the thrift shops once a week or so and hit garage sales about once a month looking for clean vinyl at bargin basement prices.

Picked these up last week, all VG or better and $.50ea:

* Sibelius, Violin Conserto The Swan of Tuonela , David Oistrakh solo, Ormandy w/ The Philidelphia Orchestra, Odyssey (Columbia Stereo) Y30489

* Tchaikovsky Swan Lake, Ormandy w/ The Philidelphia Orchestra, KS 6308 - comes in a Hardcover combo sleeve/14pg program notes on the orchestra and ballet

* Brahms: Sym 1. Leinsdorf/BSO, RCA LM-2711

*VIVALDI: FOUR SEASONS STOKOWSKI/NEW PHILHARMONIA - LONDON SPC 21015 (my second copy of this particular piece - 50 cents is a nice backup)

* Debussy: La Mer George Szell and Cleveland Orchestra, Epic BC 1263

*JS Bach: Magnificat, Purcell: Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary, Gerant Jones Singers, Seraphim 60001 (mono) (Bad cover, but the LP was perfect!)

This batch came the week before for $1 each and most are about NM:

* Chopin: Ballade No. 4 Ashkenazy, scherzi/prelude/barcarole,CS 6562

* Beethoven: Concerto #2/Sonata in E Flat, Barenboim/ London Philharmonic, RCA ARL1 4711

* Beethoven: ViolinKonzert D-Dur; Christian Ferras & Herbert von Karajan w/ Berlin Philharmonic; Deutsche Grammophone, #139021

* Bach: Toccatas, Glenn Gould, Columbia M 35144

*Darrell Mansfield Band: the Vision, A and S Records

Also picked up some Musical Heritage Society titles (don't have them in front of me) that were all NM. So for being out $11, I'm very happy.

So what are you finding in the way of vinyl?

May 10, 2003 at 12:23 AM Post #2 of 30
I just got three great Gregorian Chant albums recorded in a French Abbey by several boys' choirs, off eBay. $1 each, near mint.

The music is breathtaking. Close to the best $3 (+ shipping) I've ever spent on LPs.

--Chris

May 10, 2003 at 12:25 AM Post #3 of 30
Good thread, I'm actually heading out in 30 minutes to the local record shop and then the grocery store and I'll be back with some used vinyl.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2003 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
and then the grocery store and I'll be back with some used vinyl.
smily_headphones1.gif

I never knew you can find vinyl at the grocery store. I'll have to look harder next time.
biggrin.gif

Seriously, last week I picked up "The London Concert (1975)" by Derek Bailey and Evan Parker on Incus. Great free record by two masters, who's interplay is stunning. Sounds great, too.

May 10, 2003 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
I never knew you can find vinyl at the grocery store. I'll have to look harder next time.
biggrin.gif

tongue.gif
The record store is on the way to a supermarket.

Nothing special, got 2 new and 2 used.

The Cure - The Head on the Door (used)
Social Distortion - Mommy's Little Monstor (used)
Arab Strap - Monday at the Hug & Pint (new)
Yo La Tengo - And then nothing turned itself inside-out (new)

May 12, 2003 at 2:29 PM Post #6 of 30
I just got back from a trip up to see my Mom in Bangor Maine. I will be helping her with my Grandmother's estate over the next few weeks and months.

I went through over 300 LPs from the 50s-70s and pulled about 150 of them and shipped them down here.

Lots of old RCA Living Stereo titles...jazz, classical, vocals....I am psyched. I remember these so well from my childhood. A number of original issue Nat King Cole LPs got me quite excited. There are even a couple of classical 78s. All very well cared for and stored over the years.

I will give you guys the full rundown when they arrive here.

John

May 12, 2003 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 30
I found way too much good stuff on vinyl for cheap to remember it all. Why do you think we got into vinyl in the first place? I guess I'll post if I go out digging soon and come back with some treasures.

May 12, 2003 at 6:08 PM Post #8 of 30
A few weeks ago, I walked into my local new (not used) store and they were dumping a bunch of their import vinyl for some reason. I picked up a New Order 12", KLF's "Last Train to Trancentral" (this is a rare one), a BBC Cabaret Voltaire collection, a bunch of modern garage 7"s and assorted other goodies. Everything was between 2 and 4 bucks, all brand new.

It's interesting what you find sometimes as new old stock-vinyl that is long out of print and by all rights should be quite expensive, but is still priced at regular store prices. Fun stuff!

May 12, 2003 at 6:25 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio Redneck
This is a thread about vinyl. And bargins. And "Ureka! Theres Gould in them thar thrift shops and garage sales!" Zowie's recent post got me to wanting to post this. I hound out the thrift shops once a week or so and hit garage sales about once a month looking for clean vinyl at bargin basement prices.

Picked these up last week, all VG or better and $.50ea:

* Sibelius, Violin Conserto The Swan of Tuonela , David Oistrakh solo, Ormandy w/ The Philidelphia Orchestra, Odyssey (Columbia Stereo) Y30489

* Tchaikovsky Swan Lake, Ormandy w/ The Philidelphia Orchestra, KS 6308 - comes in a Hardcover combo sleeve/14pg program notes on the orchestra and ballet

* Brahms: Sym 1. Leinsdorf/BSO, RCA LM-2711

*VIVALDI: FOUR SEASONS STOKOWSKI/NEW PHILHARMONIA - LONDON SPC 21015 (my second copy of this particular piece - 50 cents is a nice backup)

* Debussy: La Mer George Szell and Cleveland Orchestra, Epic BC 1263

*JS Bach: Magnificat, Purcell: Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary, Gerant Jones Singers, Seraphim 60001 (mono) (Bad cover, but the LP was perfect!)

This batch came the week before for $1 each and most are about NM:

* Chopin: Ballade No. 4 Ashkenazy, scherzi/prelude/barcarole,CS 6562

* Beethoven: Concerto #2/Sonata in E Flat, Barenboim/ London Philharmonic, RCA ARL1 4711

* Beethoven: ViolinKonzert D-Dur; Christian Ferras & Herbert von Karajan w/ Berlin Philharmonic; Deutsche Grammophone, #139021

* Bach: Toccatas, Glenn Gould, Columbia M 35144

*Darrell Mansfield Band: the Vision, A and S Records

Also picked up some Musical Heritage Society titles (don't have them in front of me) that were all NM. So for being out $11, I'm very happy.

So what are you finding in the way of vinyl?

I love the Leinsdorf Brahms symphonies.

If you like the Beethover Vln Concerto (maybe you already know it well), I'd surely advise you check out others besides Ferras.

Is that Four Seasons the one with a full romantic period type orchestra?

May 13, 2003 at 4:46 AM Post #10 of 30
Today's buys:

Subhumans - From the Cradle to the Grave (used)
Spiritualized - Amazing Grace (new)
The Smashing Pumpkins - Adore (new)
Metallica - with Michael Kamen conducting the SF Orchestra (new)
Peter Gabriel - Melt (used)
Dire Straits - Making Movies (used)
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound (used)
Genesis - Trespass (used)
The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta (used)

May 13, 2003 at 7:41 AM Post #11 of 30
I got a 10" of Rostropovich playing Myaskovsky's cello concerto. It looks like it has never been played. It is the original Soviet issue, and is pretty rare outside Russia. In any case, I just found a guy in Moscow to hook me up with great Soviet LP's, so I am really excited. They are not bargains, but I think it is reasonable for me to pay 10-20 dollars for LP's that I would have to pay a 1000 dollar plane ticket and fly 15 hours just to be able to spend days searching for....it is worth it for me. He keeps a look out for what I like, so it works out.

May 13, 2003 at 2:09 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by zowie
Is that Four Seasons the one with a full romantic period type orchestra?

I'm not sure what you mean by "full romantic period". I believe this recording is by the same (though not the same players or conductor, obviously) New Philharmonia Orchestra that exists today. Unfortunately, the gatefold cover of this LP only gives credit to the solo artists, and no further mention of the orchestra or Mr. Stokowski.

May 13, 2003 at 2:35 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio Redneck
I'm not sure what you mean by "full romantic period". I believe this recording is by the same (though not the same players or conductor, obviously) New Philharmonia Orchestra that exists today. Unfortunately, the gatefold cover of this LP only gives credit to the solo artists, and no further mention of the orchestra or Mr. Stokowski.

The piece was written for a large chamber ensemble. But during many decades of the 20th century, there was a trend to play everything with a full orchestra, as if it were scored by a romantic period composer, with a string section maybe three to five times the size of what we now believe baroque composers intended. When an orchestra is credited, it doesn't necessarily mean the full orchestra is playing (as obviously would be the case at least with respect to the brass and woodwinds).

While not "authentic," I find that the very different interpretations and timbres than those on the post 70s versions we usually here today are interesting and usually enjoyable.

May 13, 2003 at 5:06 PM Post #14 of 30
recently i plundered my parents vinyl collection, as i have a turntable and they don't so they have no need for it.

my dad seems to have a pretty cool 70s rock collection, and my mum's LPs were mostly useful for some fantastic 80s pop!!!

huzzah

May 13, 2003 at 5:47 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by zowie
While not "authentic," I find that the very different interpretations and timbres than those on the post 70s versions we usually here today are interesting and usually enjoyable.

If I get back in town at a reasonalbe hour tonight, I'll give it a listen again (haven't listened to this copy or this pervormance in several months) and try to determine the size of the NPO on this recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back