Recent classical purchases
Apr 7, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #61 of 81
Florestan Trio playing Beethoven Trios volume 2 (includes Archduke Trio) and Volume 4 and the Schiff, Perenyi Complete music for Piano and Violoncello are my latest acquisitions and both are terrific. I think the Schiff-Perenyi are as good as the Fournier-Kempf DG double cd, and with better sound quality! They also put the variations in between the sonatas so that people like me are not tempted to just forget the second cd with mostly variations.
smily_headphones1.gif
Also, for the Violoncello that Perenyi uses, the sound is more basso than Fournier's cello and with a bit more resonance.

For the Florestan Trio, I have to say that this is for me, reference quality! It is that excellent. The interpretation is excellent and the sound quality is first rate. The recordings I got are available through yourmusic, so now I have to go to tower or Amazon to get the rest of the set (at higher price).
frown.gif

Apr 7, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #62 of 81
Beethoven/Florestan is on my list of purchases. The Florestan Trio has pretty much become my reference recording in almost every CD I have of theirs. IMO, they are the "Beaux Arts Trio" of our generation. In other words, they are consistently better than other trios in a wide range of music. You should check out their recordings of the Schubert Piano Trios, pretty stunning.

Apr 7, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #63 of 81
I totally agree, and as a matter of fact I had the Schubert Trios months ago and that is why when I saw the Beethoven it became a must for me. I just wish I could find volume 3 of the Beethoven anywhere! That's the one with the Razumovsky quartets, which are my particular favorites.
frown.gif
Well, I'm sure it will turn up somewhere soon, and if necessary I'll buy used from one of the many stores in the Metropolitan area. Thank god for the Ipod, so many just rip the cds as soon as they buy them and then sell them in amazingly great condition.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #64 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Ysaye - Violin Sonatas - Shumsky

Ysaye - Violin Sonatas - Mordkovitch

Tyson, et al -- can you give your opinions on the Shumsky and Mordkovitch performances of the Ysaye Sonatas? Also, have you heard either Aaron Rosand, Gidon Kremer or Maxim Vengerov recorded performances of any of these, and if so any thoughts on those?

I have great appreciation for the difficulties presented by Ysaye's works and am looking for recorded performances showing great interpretation and execution.

Apr 7, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #65 of 81
Haven't gotten around to a real comparison, but I currently have the following people doing all (or most) of the Sonatas:

Kaler
Mordkovich
Schumsky
Vengerov
Zehetmair

Right now I'd say Vengerov is probably my favorite, followed by Zhetmair. Schumsky is a bit to "old school" sounding for me, and Mordkovich is very good, no real criticism there, in fact I'd probably put her in a tie for 2nd with Zehetmair. Vengerov just has more flair, which is really needed to bring these pieces off, IMO. Listening to him play this you get the sense that there is nothing that he cannot do with a violin.

Apr 7, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #66 of 81
Quote:

Haven't gotten around to a real comparison, but I currently have the following people doing all (or most) of the Sonatas:

Kaler
Mordkovich
Schumsky
Vengerov
Zehetmair

Right now I'd say Vengerov is probably my favorite, followed by Zhetmair. Schumsky is a bit to "old school" sounding for me, and Mordkovich is very good, no real criticism there, in fact I'd probably put her in a tie for 2nd with Zehetmair. Vengerov just has more flair, which is really needed to bring these pieces off, IMO. Listening to him play this you get the sense that there is nothing that he cannot do with a violin.

I've heard Shumsky and my impressions are about the same. You have 3 that I haven't yet heard. Rosand and Kremer both do very well technically, and I feel Rosand has a bit more affinity for and more expression with the pieces -- but none come close to facility, brilliance and unusual insights Vengerov presents.

Thanks for the fast reply!

Apr 7, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #67 of 81
Decided to give Mordkovich another listen, and I have to say she's growing on me. I'd now put her clearly in the 2nd spot alone, above Zehetmair, and fairly close to Vengerov. Her interpretations are more "severe" and more architectural, but still very powerful.

Apr 7, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #68 of 81
Quote:

Decided to give Mordkovich another listen, and I have to say she's growing on me. I'd now put her clearly in the 2nd spot alone, above Zehetmair, and fairly close to Vengerov. Her interpretations are more "severe" and more architectural, but still very powerful.

Ysaye needs power to rise above technical proficiency. I'll look for her recording. Thanks.

Apr 8, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #69 of 81
More recent acquisitions:

Berlioz- Les Nuit D'ete - Susan Graham w/Nelson conducting

Haydn - Symphonies 80, 83, 84, 87, 88, 89 - Jane Glover & London Mozart Players

Mahler - Das Knaben Wunderhorn - Szell & Schwarzkopf & Dieskau

Mahler - Das Lied von der Erde - Wunderlich, Ludwig, & Klemperer

Brahms - Clarinet Trio - Hough, Isserlis, & Collins

Debussy - Preludes Book 1&2 - Zimerman

Debussy - Complete Piano Music (part 2) - Thibaudet (I already have his part 1, so now the set is complete)

Bach - Goldberg Variations - Hantai

Bach - Goldberg Variations - Rousset

"The Piano Album" - Hough

Vivaldi - Oboe Concertos - Alessandrini & Concerto Italiano

Vivaldi - Various Concertos - Alessandrini & Concerto Italiano

Apr 8, 2005 at 11:39 AM Post #70 of 81
Quote:

Haydn - Symphonies 80, 83, 84, 87, 88, 89 - Jane Glover & London Mozart Players

I have Glover/ASV doing late Mozart symphonies which are very good, I suspect her Haydn will likewise be high quality.

Quote:

Vivaldi - Oboe Concertos - Alessandrini & Concerto Italiano
Vivaldi - Various Concertos - Alessandrini & Concerto Italiano

Ha ha....with Opus 111 label CDs they are uniformly so good you can almost just buy first and ask questions later. Packaging always a treat also.

Apr 8, 2005 at 1:11 PM Post #71 of 81
Tyson, did you get the more recent or the earlier Goldbergs by Hantai? You know that I envy you the Rousset Goldbergs.

DarkAngel, Looks like a great haul!

I've been busy as well, Beethoven piano trios by the Florestan Trio
a used harpsichord works cd by Puyana (Baroque hits or something like that)
Ansermet's Stravinsky Ballets, Stage Works and Orchestral Works
Neville Marriner Mozart Symphonies 36 and 40
Szell Late Mozart Symphonies, Haffner, 40, 41(Jupiter)
King's Consort: Monterverdi Sacred Music vol 3
Rousset/Bach: Harpsichord works including Italian Concerto and Chromatic Fantasy
Rousset/Scarlatti: Sonatas
RCA Red Seal: Heifetz, The Supreme
Sarah Chang and Leif Ove Andsnes: Dvorak Violin Concerto and Piano Quintet
Mariss Jansons Shostakovich Symphony #4
Leif Ove Andsnes: All the Schubert and Grieg recordings I could find.
Corelli Violin Sonatas: Manze, Egarr (a Real Standout)
Schiff/Perenyi Beethoven Complete Music for Piano and Violoncello (new reference for me)
Andreas Martin: Obras par laud (Bach lute works on theorbo)
Schumann piano trios: florestan trio
Bach: sonatas for violin and harpsichord: James Ehnes, Luc Beausejour (Another new reference recording -- unbelieveably beautiful in sound and interpretation)
Maria Callas, Norma at La Scala (need I say more?)
Mozart Late Symphonies: Gunter Wand

I have put the cds that I have had a chance to listen to and find to be exceptional in bold.

Apr 14, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #72 of 81
I just picked up a Decca Legendary Performances cd of Radu Lupu playing Schubert's Impromptus and it's one of the best recordings I've heard of the Impromptus, both for sound quality (remastered 96kHz 24-bit super digital transfer) and interpretation. He's playing modern piano, not fortepiano so purists be advised. His playing has an effortless quality that amazes almost as much as his ability to show structure and melody lines in the most musical way. This is highest quality pianistic musicianship.

This is an older (1982) recording, and for the life of me I can't understand why the stores aren't flooded with more of Lupu's recordings.

Apr 20, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #73 of 81
Just bought (at the tower sale):

Mozart Horn Concertos performed by Brain
Dvorak Piano Concerto with Richter and Kleiber
Schubert Piano Sonata D959 with Andsnes (and Lieder with Bostridge)

And, from BMG I got:

Beethoven Piano Trios volume 2 & volume 4 with the Florestan Trio
Schubert Piano Sonata D960 with Andsnes (and Winteriesse w/Bostridge)
Greig Piano Concerto with Andsnes

And just random other pickups:

Haydn "Paris" Symphonies performed by Bernstein
Bach - English Suites performed by Rousset
Bach - Partitas performed by Rousset
Mendelssohn's Songs without Words performed by Andras Schiff
Debussy - Preludes performed by Zimerman
Debussy - Preludes (and other works) performed by Thibaudet
Dvorak - Piano Concerto performed by Aimard
Brahms Clarinet Trio performed by Collins, Isserlis, & Hough

The Tower and BMG stuff I just ordered, so still waiting for it to get here. The other stuff I already have in hand...

Apr 20, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #74 of 81
Tower.com has 25% off on sale of EMI. Now there is an extra 15% off everything. Three days only.

Quote:

Just bought (at the tower sale):

Mozart Horn Concertos performed by Brain
Dvorak Piano Concerto with Richter and Kleiber
Schubert Piano Sonata D959 with Andsnes (and Lieder with Bostridge)

And, from BMG I got:

Beethoven Piano Trios volume 2 & volume 4 with the Florestan Trio
Schubert Piano Sonata D960 with Andsnes (and Winteriesse w/Bostridge)
Greig Piano Concerto with Andsnes

And just random other pickups:

Haydn "Paris" Symphonies performed by Bernstein
Bach - English Suites performed by Rousset
Bach - Partitas performed by Rousset
Mendelssohn's Songs without Words performed by Andras Schiff
Debussy - Preludes performed by Zimerman
Debussy - Preludes (and other works) performed by Thibaudet
Dvorak - Piano Concerto performed by Aimard
Brahms Clarinet Trio performed by Collins, Isserlis, & Hough

The Tower and BMG stuff I just ordered, so still waiting for it to get here. The other stuff I already have in hand...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back