Recent change to iPod/iPhone built-in EQ?
Aug 15, 2011 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

markopolo

Head-Fier
I've been listening to iPhones and/or iPods in one version or another going back to the iPod 4G click-wheel. The built-in EQ has always been crap (as many on these boards can attest) because it caused clipping and distortion due to what I was told was an "additive" rather than subtractive model. It caused me to have to Replaygain all my tracks before importing. However, I just noticed with my iPhone 4 (running iOS version 4.3.3) that this is no longer the case. It sounds like Apple has made some significant changes to the programmed EQ curves such that they no longer boost certain frequencies (bass typically) to the clipping level with some songs. They also just sound plain different (better, subtler). Does anyone have any additional information or can anyone confirm that I am not going crazy? It would be great to not have to rely on Replaygaining any longer.

Aug 15, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 2
Ah, thanks for the info and the tip! I guess I never thought Apple would greenlight specialized EQ apps because of that whole "duplication of functionality" thing. This is great news indeed. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back