receivers and amplifiers
Apr 26, 2004 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

h3nG

100+ Head-Fier
any huge differences between using a receiver to amplify headphones oppose to having an actual headphone amplifier?

Apr 26, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 5
Volume levelwise, a good receiver can deliever upto 50-70% of volume of moderate headphone amp if you using low impedance headphone. Using high-impedance phone, volume level may not be sufficiently loud using receiver. Sound qualitywise, most of newer receiver will sound very THIN and ANALYTICAL. Where as headphone amp will provide more balanced and fuller sound. Some older receivers can be used as economical headphone amp subsititute. They are very musical and cost around $80-$120 used.

Apr 26, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #3 of 5
Yes. Depending on the receiver and amp of course. As a general rule, dedicated HP amps sound better than built-ins. There are plenty of exceptions. Do you have a receiver in mind?
CPW

Apr 26, 2004 at 3:50 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
Yes. Depending on the receiver and amp of course. As a general rule, dedicated HP amps sound better than built-ins. There are plenty of exceptions. Do you have a receiver in mind?
CPW

not really, my dad has some sony receiver at home that i tried...but they sounded really thin like vtec mentioned. i didn't like it at all. i just noticed that some head-fi members use receivers for headphones, and it made me a little curious.

thanks!

Apr 26, 2004 at 9:21 AM Post #5 of 5
I used my Sony TA-FA777ES Integrated Amp headphone out for quite a while before I bought my Grado RA-1 headphone amp, I couldn't believe the extra detail and seperation I got with the RA-1, everything just sounded more life like.

Best wishes,

Paul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back