Receiver... or no receiver? (w/ ATH-AD700s)
Jul 13, 2007 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TrevorCook

New Head-Fier
I ordered a pair of ATH-AD700s and they should be in tomorrow. My current rig is an AV710 rear out to an old JVC receiver to some pretty nice Infinity's. So, when my ATH-AD700s come in, should I plug them directly into the AV710? or into the receiver...?

(receiver is an RX-6000V)

Thanks!

Trevor

Jul 13, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 14
receiver headphone jacks usually are pretty bad. just try both and see what does the job best for you. my $$ is on the 710.

Jul 13, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 14
I don't have ad700 but I am also interesting in buying one so I have read some reviews of it. From my readings, I think that pluging it directly to av710 will make it a little lean on the bass department. Even if you are not a basshead(maybe you are, if you were you would probably not bought it
biggrin.gif
) it will probably be lean. To make the sound a little bit thick you may need an amplification. Even if your receivers headphone out is bad, I think it will sound better. (If its not really crap) If it sounds better this way you may get a cheap amp to make it sound even better.

Jul 14, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #8 of 14
well, my pioneer receiver puts out plenty of juice, i could never imagine it being considered "underpowered" but i dont really like the sound of it. at all. it just doesnt put out mid range, and has a bass hump (more like a bass mountain).

but like i said, it could drive any phone no problemo.

Jul 14, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevorCook /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the question is really whether or not the receiver that I have would improve quality. Can anyone give me a solid answer on this?

it actually depends on your ears. i have an ad700 and theyre great outta Xfi (modded) , EMU 0404 or an XP amp.. it should be a matter of preference and i dont think the AD700 scale well with higher end amps, so an $100ish amp will do well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back