Receiver as DAC
Aug 8, 2009 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

augie924

New Head-Fier
I have been noticing a lot of receivers on craigslist lately and was wondering how some of these used ones might compare to a dac. For example, I saw a Sony STR-DA80ES for $145. How would this compare to a Fubar II or E-MU 0404? Also I believe that the sony is old, does the technology in this receiver make it inferior to newer ones in terms of the dac? Any comments are appreciated.

Aug 9, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 21
That is a gold mine waiting for us to exploit. Now with the new HMDI video processors on the receivers, the old ones are being dumped on ebay and such for cheap. A sticky post with a list of the good ones (sound-wise) would be VERY important here.

Aug 9, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 21
A receiver doesn't have a DAC. You're confusing it with AV receivers. I've found AV amps to have lousy sound quality, so really it's not a good step up. If you want a DAC, buy a DAC.

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found AV amps to have lousy sound quality, so really it's not a good step up. If you want a DAC, buy a DAC.

Have to disagree here, there are many great sounding AV receivers out there.

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 21
I guess if you just use AV receivers, and in the low end then yes. Compare like for like and you'll want to use integrated/dac. I don't even use a av amplifier for the left/right channels of my PC audio rig because I think they're that bad, I've got a Arcam Alpha for that, with the av amplifier for the remaining channels. I wouldn't even consider using a av amplifier as the main unit (pre-amp/poweramp) or for DAC in a Hi-Fi.

What av receivers, stereo dac, stereo analogue pre-amps have you owned?

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 21
Yes I've done that, don't waste your time. It's functional, if you've already for the av amplfiier you'll need to do that for multi-room, recording to tape, or to a headphone amplifier, but I certainly wouldn't buy av amplifier for the DAC section.

Buy a quality stereo DAC.

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 21
Most low-mid priced receivers will usually use low quality DAC's for the digital inputs.
for instance, With many of the newer soundcards it is preferable to use a analog connection over digital as the DAC's on the card are usually of higher quality then the units used in the AV receiver. The sound quality is dependant on the gear but usually this is the way it works. Unless you have a very high quality receiver and a low quality soundcard. As was usggested by others: If you want a good quality DAC just buy a external DAC as they will be of a much higher quality then what is available within a low-mid priced receiver such as the models you have been looking at and posted.

Aug 9, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #10 of 21
Augie, check this:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/St...re-DAC-Review:
There's a guy there who posted a comment (refer to the comment dated Sun, 05/31/2009 - 21:42) saying that he preferred the DAC in his Sony AV receiver (Sony STR-DA5400ES - $1,135) to Stello DA100 Signature!

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #11 of 21
We have a Yamaha DSP A1 that lost a channel. I took it apart and was surprised to find AKM D/A chips inside- specifically, a model that was the direct precursor to what's in my Stello. It sounds fantastic as a DAC.

I've also tried a couple Pioneer Elite Reference receivers and found them to be quite lacking.

Edit: To be clear, the problem with the Yamaha is in the power amp section so the DAC can be tapped at the pre-out.

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #12 of 21
I must admit, i picked up a Sony STR-DA3300ES for cheap and sold my older AV receiver. I really wanted it for the HDMI inputs at the time until i can afford something a bit more bigger and better. However i found the DAC in this receiver to be very good, much better than my older denon. IT doesn't drive my speakers as well as the denon did though, but the DAC was definitely much much better.

Aug 10, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #13 of 21
The problem is knowing which of them had good DAC or AMP (or both) sections. You dont need an stellar configuration to get good sound. Remember the playstation one. I bet there are nice combos out there selling for cheap!. To say that all receivers sound bad is just one more useless generalization. Who has heard them all?.

Aug 10, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by augie924 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry I meant av receiver. Does anyone have any experience using an av receiver with digital in and using a line out to an amp, or any similar setup?

Then you are looking at a processor or an AV pre amp since you don't need the power amps in an AV receiver.
I am doing exactly that in my AV set up- digital out from sources to my Meridian processor and out put to power amps.
By the way, there are some great sounding AV receivers around that work well with music as well as tv/movies. They are not all bad. Look at some Integra; Denon or Onkyo. You will be surprised how good they sound.

Aug 11, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #15 of 21
receivers with DSP's see the digital audio stream at a higher resolution than a DAC.

DSP's are known for 2 things:
1. manipulating audio steams
2. taking the place of a DAC by using a giant eyeball with lots more resolution than a standard DAC in soundcards. (and this is because the DSP in the receiver has a much greater 'jitter' correction than a DAC running oversampled)

i've spoke about analog to digital convertors and x,y coordinates..
basically a DSP will recover more x,y coordinate mistakes than a oversampling DAC (simply because the industry has designed things that way.. MAINLY FOR AMATEUR DIRECTORS - hence amateur sound mastering on DVD)

cheap sony receivers with DSP sound fields.. these are some of the best headphone amps in the galaxy.
sure.. you will have to use the rear speaker outputs and solder together a headphone jack for the rear main outputs.. but the DSP's in those $300 receivers from early 2000 are equipped specifically to anger high-end mono-functioning hardware.

i have a sony STR-DE985/B with dual 32bit DSP's
this is paired to 6.5inch peerless nomax drivers
lets just say.. i can go into bestbuy with a psychotic giggle.
(the amplifier isnt room-shaking.. but it would make a stupid pre-amp)

abyss.. black.. nothing - i got this receiver for a birthday present from my belittled mother ($350)
then i got the drivers used off ebay - still giggling

i dont dare use the sony virtual acoustics..
i went from klh 12inch woofer 3-ways to the peerless nomax drivers in the box with some old school mtx blue thunder from the early early 1990's and in the dark i hear details.

the only thing i hated about those boxes, the midranges are in the same chamber as the 12 inch woofer.. which made the mids pop trying to drive the 12's.
(i have plans to build my own dual chamber boxes - if the economy doesnt murder me first)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back