receiver and bookshelf speakers
Dec 2, 2004 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

futangclan

New Head-Fier
i've been lurking around for a few days and i've decided that i want to create a budget system using my computer as a source. i plan to purchase a chaintech av710 sound card. i want to output that to a receiver and finally, purchase some bookshelf speakers. i'd like to buy a decent receiver that will last me for a while, but i have no clue about what to buy. i'd like to spend around $200-$300 on the receiver, and up to $150-$200 on the pair of speakers. i've read about wharfedale c20s, paradigm atoms, and infinity primus 150s as far as the speakers go, but i'd like to hear as many opinions as possible.

for what it's worth, i listen to mostly rock and hip-hop. i value bass, but not at the expense of treble and mids. i'd like an overall balanced sound with punchy bass.

i'd really appreciate any advice given. this board has been really helpful.

Dec 2, 2004 at 6:16 AM Post #2 of 5
If you're going to use the AV710, are already considering the Paradigm Atoms, and are looking for a stereo only setup, you should have a look at the $30 Sonic Impact/Tripath "T"-amp. I have this exact setup and am quite (very) pleased with it. Balanced sound. Punchy bass. Just what the doctor ordered, and for CHEAP.

Do a quick site search to turn up the recent and very favorable experience people are having with this too-good-to-be-true digital amp. Suggested reading:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact/t.html
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92760

-coma

P.S. The 15-watt Sonic Impact drives 89dB (slightly above average efficiency) Paradigm Atoms very nicely, in case you were worried about that.

Dec 2, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 5
Does anyone have listening impressions of the Infinity Primus 150s? I'm interested in those as well. My listening taste runs the gamut from jazz to classical to pop. High fidelity acoustic jazz recordings are probably the most important for me when I listen for sound quality.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by futangclan
i've been lurking around for a few days and i've decided that i want to create a budget system using my computer as a source. i plan to purchase a chaintech av710 sound card. i want to output that to a receiver and finally, purchase some bookshelf speakers. i'd like to buy a decent receiver that will last me for a while, but i have no clue about what to buy. i'd like to spend around $200-$300 on the receiver, and up to $150-$200 on the pair of speakers. i've read about wharfedale c20s, paradigm atoms, and infinity primus 150s as far as the speakers go, but i'd like to hear as many opinions as possible.

Dec 3, 2004 at 11:18 AM Post #5 of 5
with my AV-710 i go through a sansui model 8080 to a pair of advent 3002 bookshelf speakers and have been extremely pleased. i spent $110 on the sansui and $60 on the advents. awsome sound for so little spent.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back