Receiver/Amp argument, what's the general truth?
Dec 16, 2004 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Xeo

Head-Fier
Yo guys, I started the thread about woofer size and bass extension so you know I'm no expert when it comes to this sound stuff.

Anyway, I bought some primus 150's and now I've gotta decide what I want to drive them. Many of you on this board have said that an AMP is the best way to go for music as opposed to a reciever. Is this coming from a hardcore stereophile point of view or a more average joe point of view? You've said the sound quality produced from a dedicated amp would be better because of higher quality parts (or something like that), but will it REALLY be a noticable difference to me? I'm looking for the best sound quality possible in my $100 dollar range, and if I can get a reciever, which has a radio tuner, headphone jack, multiple channels, all without seriously detrimenting sound quality, then I'd buy one. If not, then I'll go with an amp within my price range.

So what's the deal? According to my ears, my altec lansing mx2150 computer speakers are the best sounding sources in the house (second to my a900's, but I'm talk'n speakers here), so maybe I wont be able to tell the difference between the quality of an amp and reciever?....I dunno. I need some feedback and discussion
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2004 at 8:19 AM Post #2 of 3
It used to be true that amps are better than receivers because of costs issues, and it still may be generally true. However, there are some excellent receivers out that sound fabulous for any price, namely the digital ones being mentioned everywhere both here on these forums and on audiocircle. The big 4 are (anything tripath powered,) panasonic's SA-XR series (usually just XR25/50/70/45,) JVC RX-ES1SL and RX-F10, and some Sharp units.

Dec 16, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 3
Receivers generally make more compromises than amps, but in this price range there are plenty of compromises that have to be made anyway. I wouldn't be afraid to buy a receiver, and I have one in my bedroom. But remember if it has additional features like multiple channels, that is money they spent in one area that they didn't spend in the front channels. You rarely get something for nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back