Received the Senn. 590s
Sep 3, 2003 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
HI: I receiver the Senn. 590s today and ordered the Equinox cable but that will take a while. The 590s are burning in for 100 hours.

Sep 3, 2003 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 16
600smile.gif

Sep 3, 2003 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 16
Congrats. I just got my Equinox cable for my HD600s after 6 weeks of waiting. It still hasn't burned in yet, but right out of the box I noticed tighter bass and clearer, more detailed highs.

Quick question: When you all say you're "burning something in," I take it you're just playing music through the phones nonstop for a certain ammount of time? Is the process of burning a cable in the same? Could I just hook my Equinox up to my amp, play music through it non-stop, or do I need it hooked to my headphones as well?

Sep 3, 2003 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 16
HI: When you got your cable the directions read to give the cable a 72 hour burn in before critical listening. You burn in non stop fore 72 hours but can listen during that time and yes have a pair of headphones plugged in and they also get to burn in .LOL

Sep 3, 2003 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 16
if it's not too much trouble, how would you compare them soundstage-wise (depth, width) to the A1000 that you used to have? and how similar is the frequency balance on both 'phones?
thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

[edit: oh, and congrats on your new 'phones
smily_headphones1.gif
]

Sep 4, 2003 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 16
kcits
HI: The A1000 are a very different headphone. It is very dynamic and forward somewhat like the grado 225 only much better sound stage over the 225. The 225 are very focus but have a narrow sound stage but are very dynamic and upfront. The A1000 are also very up front with a large sound stage. Both of these headphones are a great buy if you want a very dynamic and upfront sound. The SENN. 590 is not very dynamic and far from upfront but very pleasant and relaxing to listen to compared to the other two headphones. Today while burning in the 590s I was able to listen to PINK FLOYD two CD echoes straight though with no head ache. LOL. And then put on FLEETWOOD MAC and listen to the whole CD the dance. I find the 590 very balanced but also think the SR-225 and A1000 are also very balanced cans. The 590s are just a polite and relaxing headphone that you can listen to for a very long time straight though. Now don't get me wrong. The 590s sound great and a 2nd or 3rd row sound over being on the stage like the 225 and A1000 but the 2nd or 3rd row lets you hear the whole sound with everything that is going on. It is a very full sound and very complete sound with a very good sound stage. The 590 sound stage is way bigger than the 225 but I think the A1000 would have a bigger sound stage over the 590s. At my age I can't seem, to handle the 225 or A1000 or even the CD3000 for a long period of listening time but the senn 590 I can listen to all day.

Sep 4, 2003 at 1:05 AM Post #9 of 16
Hi Louis!
Congratulations on your new HD 590s! Whatever happened to the closed Audio Technica cans? I've just gone the Sennheiser route myself. Darn. I just got a pair of HD 580's which theoretically should be smoother and softer than the HD 590s and a new Sony source (CDP-CE375). I see you also have a Sony source probably with the same kind of linear hybrid pulse DAC mine's got. I can't listen to it for over an hour at moderate volume levels without some painful fatigue! I wonder if my new Rega EAR is to blame. Other Rega Ear owners say the Sony source is to blame. What do you think? You obviously aren't getting any fatigue there with your reputedly brighter HD 590s paired with another Sony source. Could it be the Acoustic Research cables? I'm so puzzled by this. The whole rig should be plenty broken in by now.
Cheers,
Alex
blink.gif

Sep 4, 2003 at 1:38 AM Post #10 of 16
Alex Altorfer
HI: How are you? I am using a Sony CD Minidisc deck and a Sony Minidisc deck in my office. I also am using DiMarzio high Definition cable ICs. My amps are the ULTRA Meta42 by headsave and my 590s don't sound bright to me but have very good highs that are not fatiguing but just go high like they are supposed to. The bass is great and the mids are what seems to be the difference. The mids are like polite and not in your face but back a ways but because of that I get to get a sense of the whole music presentation. If any of this makes a difference I would think that it is the ULTRA amp. But am not sure?

Sep 4, 2003 at 1:54 AM Post #11 of 16
Alex altorfer: I've got a Rega Ear and have never found it bright with any of the sources I've tried it with. I find it to be along the lines of the Rega CDP's that I've owned, which would be more towards the warm side of things. I've never tried it with any Sony CDP's but have it paired with a modified CD25 right now and have used it with a Rega Jupiter and and my Audio Aero CDP. I have also used it with several different headphones.

Sep 4, 2003 at 2:06 AM Post #12 of 16
Louis,
I'm fine dude! Of course, I'd be happier without fatigued ears! Thanks for your reply. I hope the Rega Ear is not the problem. It is far easier to find another CDP in Brazil than another headphone amp.
Tom,
Thanks for your reply. I'll be auditioning a Rega Planet with my amp, cans, and cables tomorrow morning. The problem would be shelling out the bucks for it if it turns out to be the solution. Still, I find it ridiculous that a Sony source, however cheap, should cause fatigue when paired with ANY amp plus the widely recognized for smoothness HD 580s.
Cheers,
Alex Altorfer

Sep 4, 2003 at 2:21 AM Post #13 of 16
ALEX: Are you going to be at a shop where they will have another Ear to listen to side by side with yours? Hope things work out for you.

Sep 4, 2003 at 2:22 AM Post #14 of 16
Alex Altorfer
HI: Could you find a store that has a 100 percent return policy no questions asked and try some different stuff and then you will know if it is the amp or not? I had the 580 a while back and they are smooth even laid back but sounded great. They just were hard to drive to max performance.

Sep 4, 2003 at 4:28 AM Post #15 of 16
Hello guys!
Tom,
That's unlikely. As nobody in Brazil seems to know anything or care about headphone amps, dealers don't even carry them. The Ear I got was the only headphone amp I've found for sale in the last 12 months. At last year's HIFI Audio Fair I saw what I think was a ZOTL or something. More expensive. Looked like a pink shoebox. It was also the only unit the dealer had. I'll ask them though. Now lemme ask you, does your Rega Ear also have a very high volume gain? Mine will drive the HD 580s crazy loud with the volume knob barely over 9 o'clock. Low impedance Philips cans almost killed my ears at 7 o'clock. There should be a warning in the manuals or something, or better, on the Ear's box! Another question: Is there a BIIIG difference between the Planet and the Jupiter through the Rega Ear? Well, I couldn't afford a Jupiter and a Planet represents a potentially dangerous financial sacrifice already. I'll audition the Planet this coming morning.
Louis,
The problem cannot be the cans. They are well burnt in and the fatigue is the same on both channels. Two defective drivers would represent microscopically small odds of occurring in the same device. I either have a defective Rega Ear, a defective Sony source, or the Sony is a bad match for the Ear. It could also be the Acoustic Research OFC cables but I seriously doubt this. I also wonder if there could be an electrical power related problem here in my hometown, like maybe I would need a powerline harmonics filter or something. I'm no expert so I have no idea. It would be interesting if someone had a Rega Ear in your area that you could test with your Sony and your Senns to verify either the presence or lack of fatigue. Geeez, I'm under the impression the Rega Ear can drive the HD 580s beyond max and then some. the Ear could probably blow the 580s drivers with the volume knob at 12 o'clock. I think it could even blow them AKG K 1000s! The Rega Ear is as madly loud as you could possibly imagine! With the Philips cans going over 7 o'clock is dangerous, and I did it as I didn't expect the Ear's volume to be like this. My ears hurt like hell for over a week! Is your Meta that loud too? Is this normal?
Cheers,
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back