Received the 0404, some questions
Dec 27, 2004 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

luukas

500+ Head-Fier
After the *usual* PITA driver installation routine (kudos to MS), I finally managed to get ASIO working in FB2K. However, Foobar's own volume adjustment doesn't work unless I interrupt the song by stopping/pausing/skipping, which is pretty annoying. Is there anything I could do about this?

Likewise I'd like to know whether I should use Foobar's or Patchmixes EQ. I really need to adjust bass and treble since I listen at very low volumes.

...next up, living hell trying to get SPDIF passed through from the A2ZS!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Heh, so much for that problem. SPDIF worked and I'm only using a default session as a template.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2004 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 5
The Patchmix DSP is much easier to use. Set the monitor volume control (bottom righthand side) for volume attenuation.

Personally, I use the Patchmix DSP EQ. I much prefer the parametric EQs to the standard style, much less the one that Foobar has.

Dec 28, 2004 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks. Sound is bit cleaner with Foobar's volume control taken out. Bass tightener is also great
basshead.gif
biggrin.gif

Now to figure out why Patchmix didn't save my sessions properly last night.

Dec 28, 2004 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 5
That's a strange experience you've had with foobar's volume. I actually prefer to use foobar's volume.

Dec 28, 2004 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
That's a strange experience you've had with foobar's volume. I actually prefer to use foobar's volume.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a placebo effect. Perhaps I did something else in the patchmix while at it that could've affected the sound quality. Or I simply used a higher volume level at first, resulting in an "improved" signal. Hard to say when I have so little experience with this card, though I do believe the former is a more likely option.

The 0404 sounds great anyway, heh. Not as huge of an upgrade over the A2ZS as I initially expected, but signifigant nevertheless. Maybe it's time I replaced the Grado extension cord I'm using right now...

Oh wow, I think I hadn't realized how much better this card actually is earlier on. It thoroughly thrashes the Audigy, and keeps sounding better with every song!
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back