Received Rockhopperaudio M-cubed demo unit today...
Jun 30, 2005 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

ReDVsion

Headphoneus Supremus
And it's been an interesting experience, to say the least. Going from being totally underwelmed and, well, disappointed with the AD8610 opamps, to saying "Wow... I didn't know my DT531s could do that" with the current combo I've got going. Right now I'm using a pair of OPA631s with an AD8065 for the ground. I think it might still be a tad on the harsh side in the treble, but damned if the mids and bass don't make up for it. The amount of air my DT531s can move with this amp is extraordinary. I'll try to post some impressions tomorrow night, but right now I'm way to tired to listen to do anything but sleep.

Jul 2, 2005 at 7:30 AM Post #2 of 24
Finally got around to listening a bit more. I had to quit using my old opamp combination as it really was just too harsh. In fact, it was just kind of unnatural sounding all-around. The mids, bass, and treble all had this incredible agressiveness to them, but they didn't mesh well together. Now I'm using a pair of AD8065s with an OPA627, and although it didn't impress at first, everything sounds very natural and 'right'. Things have really opened up soundwise and while there's a noticeable improvement in soundstage, detail, and bass from what I'm used to with my receiver or the Bada, it doesn't seem to take away anything from the overall musical picture. The sound, overall, is very nicely coherent. Moreover, I've had quite a bit of fun 'playing around' with opamp combination to try and find the best one for my headphones, something I couldn't do with other amps I've tried.

The unfortunate thing is that while there's a good bit of improvement in the mids of the M-cubed in comparison with my receiver (and IIRC with my old Gilmore V1), and while it drives my cans with more authority and that almost every aspect of the sound is improved from any amplifier I own/have owned... I realize that I don't like solid-state amps. My Bada isn't the greatest amp, but it has something, and now that I've heard it I can't get past it. I was really hoping the M-cubed would be my answer, simply becuse I didn't want to deal with tube gear. I read posts about how it sounded more tube-like than other solid-state units. I guess it's not close enough for me.

Jul 2, 2005 at 12:24 PM Post #3 of 24
I think is a matter of finding the right op amp. I had fun switching opamps back and forward too, until I found the one I liked. They are all different animals. It's just a matter of finding the right pet. The only problem is, you need to invest a great amount of money and research. Sometimes we don’t have that time. If you found the sound in a amp you like it, stick to it.
From the three opamps I have here, the one that sound tubeier is the AD843. The flatter sound is for the AD8610; this one for some reason, I can be listening for long hours. The OPA8627 sound best at low volumes but give me headaches. I will try the OPA8637 and some others in the future.

Jul 4, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 24
Try the OPA637 on R/L, and OPA627 ground. At least give it a shot.... very detailed, and yet warm...

Of course, that's with my HD600.

I really have a difficult time hearing differences between the M³ with 637 and the Millet Hybrid, at least in spots.

Jul 4, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1
Try the OPA637 on R/L, and OPA627 ground. At least give it a shot.... very detailed, and yet warm...

Of course, that's with my HD600.

I really have a difficult time hearing differences between the M³ with 637 and the Millet Hybrid, at least in spots.

Any specific reasons to have Opa627 in ground and 637 L/R instead of all 637? Thanks.

Jul 4, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 24
In short:
Quote:

The OPA637AP and OPA228PA are usable for the left and right channels, and only if the voltage gain is 8 or greater. They must not be used for the ground channel under any circumstances.

Everyting you ever wanted to know about the parts variations, especially opamp rolling can be found here.

Jul 4, 2005 at 7:43 AM Post #7 of 24
I've actually tried every combination of opamps I could, even the OPA637/627 combo. Although I did think it to be a fairly good combination, I found that I prefer the AD8065/OPA627. It's not that I didn't enjoy the warmth of the 637s, it's just that I didn't think it was punchy enough. I still get a bit of warmth with the 627 in the ground, so that helps.

Jul 4, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 24
Wao. I just put in the OPA627 /L+R and AD843 as ground.
very_evil_smiley.gif
I never heard the OPA627's sounding this good. Can someone confirm this or is the placebo effect?

Does ground configuration changes sound quality?.

Right now, I am listening to music from the inside, not the outside. Is like, the gate to get inside, open up and I am allowed to get in. Actually, I am already in!!!. Wiiiiii... This config stays, no matter what. Let's close the case.
k1000smile.gif

Oh by the way, I just ordered some SA5534AN from ON-Semiconductors. Next week, I will find out if they are really good as some people say.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 4, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #10 of 24
urm

don't put the NE5534 in the m3...

unless you want to kiss your headphones goodbye..

Jul 4, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by TURBO
So it's not compatible?. I though it was. This is the datasheet: LINK

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMB
Only FET input opamps are recommended for the M³ due to the direct-coupled design. Use of opamps with BJT inputs are not recommended due to their high input bias currents, leading to severe DC offset problems that vary according to the volume control setting.

....(from amb's M³ site http://www.amb.org/audio/mmm/ )

and:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMB
The 5534 is also a bipolar input opamp, and has the same high input bias current issue as the 741. If you have some TL081, TL071, LF351 or LF356 JFET opamps around, these would be ok for temporary purposes. They won't sound as good as the recommended higher-performance opamps, but at least the circuit would work ok.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...&page=30&pp=20

Jul 4, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazper
....(from amb's M³ site www.amb.com/audio/mmm )

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Please try the following:

* If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.
* Open the www.amb.com home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
* Click the Back button to try another link.

HTTP 404 - File not found
Internet Information Services

Technical Information (for support personnel)

* More information:
Microsoft Support

Users who are viewing this thread

Back