Received my Portapro2's...
Oct 10, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #31 of 40
Seriously, it's not laziness... that foam is on there pretty tightly and looks like it could tear if you try to remove it. I'm too chicken.
tongue.gif

Oct 10, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
They sound pertty good out of the MG-Head via an Etys 4P/S adapter. Female vocals (always my test) are especially nice for the price.

I've been convinced for some time that the 35's and PP's both shine when used with any half decent amp. The detail improvement and added bass control is very noticeable to my ears.

Oct 10, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #33 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
I've been convinced for some time that the 35's and PP's both shine when used with any half decent amp. The detail improvement and added bass control is very noticeable to my ears.

I agree, and the fact that they do is indication that they're a lot better than the average cheapo consumer model (e.g. Sony V700DJ). They still don't sound anywhere near the same league as my HD580s, but you couldn't expect them to for $20-$40.

Oct 10, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #34 of 40
Geez, I'm so easily influenced. Dug up my original PP's with the quarter sized pad mod plugged into a PA2V2 and they sound fantastic! Guess these'll be back in the rotation again. Ahhh, Stevie Ray doing "Texas Flood".

Oct 10, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #35 of 40
BTW the pads will rip if you take them directly off, but if you lift around the edges to separate from the pointy grips it's easy as pie. As others mentioned punch a small hole in the center and the detail comes out. Well worth the mod. Sold my PP2 a long time ago (needed every dollar for something else), but just picked up a KSC75s and back to lovin' the cheap Koss. If Grado/Alessando owns the sub $100, Koss even more does the sub $50.

Oct 10, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #36 of 40
Bloody hell... OK, I took the pads off my PP2. The driver itself looks to be clear, but it's behind a piece of solid plastic (at least I think it's plastic) which is black in color.

Oct 10, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #37 of 40
the portapro2's are ksc-35's with a headband....they are not ksc75 drivers as i have seen others say here in the past. the speaker element is identical to that of a 35, it is not the shiny element that the 75 uses.

Oct 10, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #38 of 40
I have performed the mod... a real hack job with scissors. I think I'll order a new pair of pads and do this again slowly with an x-acto knife... think, fewtch.
rolleyes.gif

It seems to be important to make the holes large enough, I.E. expose the second ring of holes on the driver cover. I made them too small at first on one of the earcups, and could hear the difference between the two drivers. A quarter appears to be exactly the right size.

I must say, the difference is major. Not only do I hear more of what was there, I'm hearing micro-details that weren't evident before. Even the soundstage seems to have opened up, with an overall airier quality. Tonal balance is much more even, which is a big surprise... how could foam on the earpads make the sound bassier?

Note that the headphones are not quite as comfortable after the mod, for some reason. Also, there's a greater chance of something getting into the drivers with these holes present. This seems to increase the importance of positioning on the head as well. Lower and more forward as is usually recommended.

Edit -- damn... these sound so good after the mod, I'm going to re-think buying a pair of K240S. Possibly not necessary now. Thanks, blessingx.

Oct 10, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #39 of 40
Ya know what tho... this mod seems to leave a hollow somewhere in the midrange, altho I don't know how it could. Maybe it just makes something pre-existing more noticeable. Gonna have to listen more, & wait for the new pads to come in.

Edit -- they're fatiguing my ears more, is what it is. Guess the new pads go on as-is.

Oct 11, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #40 of 40
I still haven't seen a photo of the portaPro 2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back