Received my D66s, AV-710 and SR60s today. Chasing the dog saga – Chapter 3.
Aug 5, 2004 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

elvergun

Headphoneus Supremus
Today was good…I receive my Eggo D66’s, my Chaintech AV-710, and I bought a pair of Grado SR60s.

This site is thinning my wallet very fast.

After my last series of posts, I chose the D66s for “chasing the dog around the yard” duty. When I heard them for the first time I asked the question that many on this site have asked before: “Where is the bass?”. The SR60s were next on the list if the D66s did not work out….so, thinking that the D66s sucked (and that I would put them up for sale), I left work and headed for a local store that sells Grados. I listened to them, I liked them, and I bought them.

When I got home (the Chantech was waiting at my doorsteps) I did a search on “d66” and “mod”. I read some old posts and discovered the “Tape Mod”. I quickly conducted the procedure…and to my surprise, the D66 did not suck anymore.

I actually like the modified D66s better than the SR60s (with the comfy pads). I don’t want to return the SR60’s…hey a good set of cans always comes in handy…so I’m going to try to mod them too (actually, just change the pads). I find that they are a little lacking in bass…I’ll try them out with the Senn pads and see how they sound.

Well, like the many who discovered this site before me, I guess I have embarked on a road to perdition.

Aug 5, 2004 at 6:31 AM Post #2 of 3
congrats and sorry about your wallet!

Aug 5, 2004 at 9:38 AM Post #3 of 3
Two things you might try with your new Grados. The easiest and cheapest is probably the quarter mod (cut a quarter shaped whole in the middle of the comfies). Another suggestion that I've read multiple times here is to hit TtVJ's site and order some flat pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back