Received: DT-880 & DT-48 - Questions
Apr 16, 2010 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

shane55

Headphoneus Supremus
I received these two HP's today and have been listening and comparing them (and with my old K260's) to a wide variety of music.

I'm writing reviews of these, but I have a couple questions before I post it.

I very much like the DT-880's.

1) They are extremely transparent to all external noise, so I'm going to be needing a set of cans that sound similar, but are closed.

2) They seem to accentuate the highs just a bit more than I care for (especially when driven by my DAC1-Pre). Any closed cans out there that sound similar but have very slightly reduced highs?

3) These are the most comfortable cans I've ever worn. Bar none.

In sum: Sound (and fit?) similar to the DT-880 but are closed and with slightly reduced highs.

Should be simple enough.
atsmile.gif

thanks

shane

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 28
So you only have the DT880 and want to know if the DT48 will be like a closed version of the DT880? What ohm are your DT880? It hard to compare the DT48 to any headphone.. They sound so different. They do share some common strength.. Clarity. detail. Neutrality. The DT880 has a sweeter treble, more extended highs, Viseral/authortive bass, airy, better sense of depth and width.. And sounds smoother. IMO, the DT48 is a solid upgrade over the 250 ohm DT880.. I still prefer the DT880 for movies and gaming, but for music.. Not even close. Will always side with the DT48. The DT48 sound more like a closed K1000 or maybe a closed SA5000, but not a closed DT880.

Apr 16, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #4 of 28
You might want to grab a can in the German Maestro line.

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelpearce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to grab a can in the German Maestro line.

I've never heard of this brand. I looked on the website just now and I assume you would recommend the GMP 450 PRO. Amazon has them for about $350.

I notice that you have the Charter-Oak version of them. You say they do not isolate or block out sound very well. While your review makes me think they would work well for sonic signature, the lack of isolation could be a deal breaker. I need at least a modicum of sound attenuation as my computer is kind of loud.

You stated that the K271's have a similar sound but better isolation. Much of what I read states that the 271's lack a solid bass. I don't want DT-990 type bass, but it needs to be there.

Have you compared these to the Denon D2000 or the Beyer 770's? Those seem to be the ones I'd look at next.

I had also considered the SRH 840 and the ATH-M50's, but don't think they'll be as good for acoustic or classical / jazz.

Thoughts?

shane

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by shane55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2) They seem to accentuate the highs just a bit more than I care for (especially when driven by my DAC1-Pre). Any closed cans out there that sound similar but have very slightly reduced highs?

Although it dosnt help in your quest for a sealed headphone with a similar sound signature, I have had great success using a 120 ohm adapter with my DT880/250.

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you only have the DT880 and want to know if the DT48 will be like a closed version of the DT880? What ohm are your DT880? It hard to compare the DT48 to any headphone.. They sound so different. They do share some common strength.. Clarity. detail. Neutrality. The DT880 has a sweeter treble, more extended highs, Viseral/authortive bass, airy, better sense of depth and width.. And sounds smoother. IMO, the DT48 is a solid upgrade over the 250 ohm DT880.. I still prefer the DT880 for movies and gaming, but for music.. Not even close. Will always side with the DT48. The DT48 sound more like a closed K1000 or maybe a closed SA5000, but not a closed DT880.

kool bubba ice
Yeah, the DT48's are not like any HP's I've ever heard. I'll say that they were not to my liking. I REALLY wanted to like these. I liked the design, the simplicity, the build quality, the cord AND the idea that these were serious, exacting cans. I won't argue semantics over 'neutral'... but to my ears they were not 'musical'. Nothing sounded right. No instrument; guitar, violin, organ, drum, horn sounded natural.

I heard no bass. None. They seemed to drop off at 500hz... and drop of fast. From that point to about 5000hz everything sounded like it was in a toilet. It was all very 'horn' like, but not in a good way... kind of like sound coming through a tube. Just plain weird.

Add to the mix that they were incredibly uncomfortable, I'd say it was all in all one of the worst HP experiences I've ever had.
triportsad.gif

On the plus side... stellar highs and a truly incredible build quality.
biggrin.gif

Again, without getting into semantics, I know what a piano sounds like as well as a violin, double bass, cello... and the human voice. I gotta tell you, these cans did not reproduce any of the above faithfully.

Of course, this is MY hearing. My ears and my decoding of the sound waves as they hit my ear drum. It's all just opinion and mine if of value only to me.

The DT-880 did not blow me away. The highs were exaggerated to the point of near pain on some recordings. Mids are great and the clarity is exceptional. Mid-bass could be better (more emphasized). But the comfort of these is phenomenal. They are not neutral. They are a bit sweet, and as I said, a bit shrill. But also they produce a more natural sound… open and airy (verging on too open and airy…).

I could hear my computer… loud and clear. No isolation at all (for semi-open cans). So I’m looking for something closed with a similar sound signature but a less exaggerated upper end.

Thanks for the recommendation on the DT-48’s, I really enjoyed listening to them and testing their sound. It was a lot of fun. I just can’t keep them.

cheers

shane

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although it dosnt help in your quest for a sealed headphone with a similar sound signature, I have had great success using a 120 ohm adapter with my DT880/250.

This decreases the high's?
Sorry... kind of lost.
redface.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

kool bubba ice
Yeah, the DT48's are not like any HP's I've ever heard. I'll say that they were not to my liking. I REALLY wanted to like these. I liked the design, the simplicity, the build quality, the cord AND the idea that these were serious, exacting cans. I won't argue semantics over 'neutral'... but to my ears they were not 'musical'. Nothing sounded right. No instrument; guitar, violin, organ, drum, horn sounded natural.

I heard no bass. None. They seemed to drop off at 500hz... and drop of fast. From that point to about 5000hz everything sounded like it was in a toilet. It was all very 'horn' like, but not in a good way... kind of like sound coming through a tube. Just plain weird.

Add to the mix that they were incredibly uncomfortable, I'd say it was all in all one of the worst HP experiences I've ever had.
triportsad.gif

biggrin.gif

Again, without getting into semantics, I know what a piano sounds like as well as a violin, double bass, cello... and the human voice. I gotta tell you, these cans did not reproduce any of the above faithfully.

Of course, this is MY hearing. My ears and my decoding of the sound waves as they hit my ear drum. It's all just opinion and mine if of value only to me.

The DT-880 did not blow me away. The highs were exaggerated to the point of near pain on some recordings. Mids are great and the clarity is exceptional. Mid-bass could be better (more emphasized). But the comfort of these is phenomenal. They are not neutral. They are a bit sweet, and as I said, a bit shrill. But also they produce a more natural sound… open and airy (verging on too open and airy…).

I could hear my computer… loud and clear. No isolation at all (for semi-open cans). So I’m looking for something closed with a similar sound signature but a less exaggerated upper end.

Thanks for the recommendation on the DT-48’s, I really enjoyed listening to them and testing their sound. It was a lot of fun. I just can’t keep them.

cheers

shane

Yes, they are polarizing.. My only argument is with reproducing the human voice.. This is one area that they were made for.. NAGRA recording, & field engineering.. This was one of their purposes.. The rest is preference.. I know people who heard or played the piano, drums, that think the DT48 is spot on.. No one is really right I guess.. It's all about interpretation. At least you understand why I caution people before buying a pair.

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

kool bubba ice

triportsad.gif

biggrin.gif

Shane, may I ask you what set up what used to demo the DT48. Those are by far the most resolving cans I have heard to date and will not hide any weakness in upstream components.

That and maybe a lack of burning... I am sure you eared properly, just that the DT48 present the music in such a different way that you really need to shift your mind and understand their language, which is desarmingly "uncolored"...

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shane, may I ask you what set up what used to demo the DT48. Those are by far the most resolving cans I have heard to date and will not hide any weakness in upstream components.

That and maybe a lack of burning... I am sure you eared properly, just that the DT48 present the music in such a different way that you really need to shift your mind and understand their language, which is desarmingly "uncolored"...

Yeah.. I just like the fact that shane didn't bash them or make a scene how 'awful' they are
beyersmile.png
.. Shane PMed me. I encouraged him to go with the DT880 over the DT48, as I felt the DT880 is more conventional.. Shane also got the newer models.. The 200 ohm I believe.. He probably would have disliked the vintage ones even more.. I do disagree with the no bass & toilet reference, but hey, his ears, his opinions..
beerchug.gif
Thanks for being respectful.. Would still like to read your reviews on both..

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ya know... I actually found this all to be a bit odd. Obviously there are many here who have said the same thing about the DT48's, and I was not about to chalk it up to The Emperor's New Clothes syndrome.

Maybe I got a bad set?

I am playing uncompressed .wav files with Soundforge 10 (either CD rip or vinyl recordings at 24/96) through a Xonar STX. I fed the analog out to both my DAC1-Pre and my Outlaw RR2150. More than adaquate power (especially the Outlaw!).

The files all have sounded amazing either through my Shure, UE or Westone IE's or my K260's or even my speaker system (Ascend).

Honestly, I can't remember if I've ever heard anything sound so glaringly odd. It all sounded so strangly un-musical that maybe there was something wrong with the cans. The Beyer's sound fine (though not as good as I'd hoped).

Anyway, don't know if that helps or not...

shane

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Ya know... I actually found this all to be a bit odd. Obviously there are many here who have said the same thing about the DT48's, and I was not about to chalk it up to The Emperor's New Clothes syndrome.

Maybe I got a bad set?

I am playing uncompressed .wav files with Soundforge 10 (either CD rip or vinyl recordings at 24/96) through a Xonar STX. I fed the analog out to both my DAC1-Pre and my Outlaw RR2150. More than adaquate power (especially the Outlaw!).

The files all have sounded amazing either through my Shure, UE or Westone IE's or my K260's or even my speaker system (Ascend).

Honestly, I can't remember if I've ever heard anything sound so glaringly odd. It all sounded so strangly un-musical that maybe there was something wrong with the cans. The Beyer's sound fine (though not as good as I'd hoped).

Anyway, don't know if that helps or not...

shane

Nothing to beat yourself over with Shane.. The DT48 are very unconventional, many find them to be very un natural sounding, while a few find them ultra natural..Another reason why they intrigue me so much. They just aren't to your liking..No biggie. They do sound odd for the first few hrs. I even had buyers remorse thoughts.. I doubt your phones are defective.. If I read this a yr ago, I'd be all over your post, ripping it piece by piece defending the DT48, but I'm over it.. We all hear differently. I will leave it at that, & respect your opinion..

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah.. I just like the fact that shane didn't bash them or make a scene how 'awful' they are
beyersmile.png
.. Shane PMed me. I encouraged him to go with the DT880 over the DT48, as I felt the DT880 is more conventional.. Shane also got the newer models.. The 200 ohm I believe.. He probably would have disliked the vintage ones even more.. I do disagree with the no bass & toilet reference, but hey, his ears, his opinions..
beerchug.gif
Thanks for being respectful.. Would still like to read your reviews on both..

kool bubba ice.
I apologize if my critique sounded harsh. I didn't mean to, I was just hoping to convey why these did not work for me, and my impressions (as dispassionately as possible).

As to the type... they were the 25ohm version. DT48E. Yes brand new, from B&H.

I really appreciate all the assistance and recommendations.

shane

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

kool bubba ice.
I apologize if my critique sounded harsh. I didn't mean to, I was just hoping to convey why these did not work for me, and my impressions (as dispassionately as possible).

As to the type... they were the 25ohm version. DT48E. Yes brand new, from B&H.

I really appreciate all the assistance and recommendations.

shane

It wasn't harsh. You were being honest in your assessment, & described it as such.. I know harsh when I read it.. That's why I respect your opinion. You didn't go off on a tirade, like some others who disliked the DT48..Name calling, etc.. It's cool. You gave a fair assessment to what you heard, without taking pot shots.. What more could you ask for? 25ohm. My apologies. You are a class act, & would love to help you with more recommendations.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back