Received AKG K553 Pro
Aug 9, 2015 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dsdeiz

Head-Fier
Hey all,

So I recently received my AKG K553 Pro. The sound quality is definitely nice (though this is the first time I owned a pair headphones). One thing I don't like is that it's not portable. Cable is long and thick. The headphone itself is heavy which makes it difficult for me to tilt my head. Thing is my plan was to get a headphone for listening. This one seems to be for professionals. 
biggrin.gif

Anyway, wondering if there are ways to distinguish that what I'm about to get is a portable headphone?

Thanks!

Aug 10, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #3 of 16
Yeah. I have the K550, and the cable length is definitely not good for lots of portable use.

Here are some portable headphones:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/category/ear-pad-sealed-headphone-reviews

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-114-portable-headphones-reviewed-xiaomi-mi-headphones-added-04-21-2015

Aug 10, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 16
Sorry, I'm still not aware on how to determine whether headphones are portable or not. Also wondering, would it be weird to wear this studio headphones in an office (not that it bothers me)? 
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 16
  Sorry, I'm still not aware on how to determine whether headphones are portable or not. Also wondering, would it be weird to wear this studio headphones in an office (not that it bothers me)? 
biggrin.gif

The local battle cry is "Keep Austin Wierd!"  So who cares?  Who cares anyway?

BTW: your post reminds me of a Seinfeld episode.

Aug 10, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #10 of 16

True portable cans are (almost all) closed, smaller, easy to drive and almost always fold up or over.  The manufacturers description will generally be helpful.

Yeah, sorry, really new to this things. What do you mean by "easy to drive and almost always fold up or over"? I'm trying to look at some headphones atm and comparing 'em.

Aug 10, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 16

True portable cans are (almost all) closed, smaller, easy to drive and almost always fold up or over.  The manufacturers description will generally be helpful.

Yeah, sorry, really new to this things. What do you mean by "easy to drive and almost always fold up or over"? I'm trying to look at some headphones atm and comparing 'em.

If you’re looking for headphones to use with a portable player or laptop, stick to the range of 16 – 32 Ohms with a sensitivity (efficiency) rating of at least 100 dB/mW. There are some higher impedance headphones, up to 80 Ohms or so, that are efficient enough to work well with at least some portable gear—especially if you don’t like it very loud. But, in general, the lower the impedance the better the match with battery powered devices.

Folding up is what it literally means.  The ear cups fold up into the head band, etc. for small size and max portability.

Aug 10, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #12 of 16

If you’re looking for headphones to use with a portable player or laptop, stick to the range of 16 – 32 Ohms with a sensitivity (efficiency) rating of at least 100 dB/mW. There are some higher impedance headphones, up to 80 Ohms or so, that are efficient enough to work well with at least some portable gear—especially if you don’t like it very loud. But, in general, the lower the impedance the better the match with battery powered devices.

This is new to me. Thanks for the info!

Aug 10, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #13 of 16
  Sorry, I'm still not aware on how to determine whether headphones are portable or not.

That's highly relative. Generally manufacturers would make them smaller and/or fold flat or some other manner, but if you're using it as a transportable to use at work, then any closed back headphone would work and the utility of folding the cups flat or otherwise depends on the kind of bag you're willing to carry. If you won't be crammed into a sardine can because you have a car or you can bike home then even a Beyerdynamic T5P can be an option.

Also wondering, would it be weird to wear this studio headphones in an office (not that it bothers me)? 
biggrin.gif

Why would it be weird? If it doesn't get in the way of your work then there's no problem.

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #14 of 16
  Also wondering, would it be weird to wear this studio headphones in an office (not that it bothers me)? 
biggrin.gif

Why would it be weird? If it doesn't get in the way of your work then there's no problem.

For a good many in the USA (and apparently elsewhere), especially among those in the younger demographics, headphones are--at least in part--a fashion/cultural statement and/or accessory.

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #15 of 16

For a good many in the USA (and apparently elsewhere), especially among those in the younger demographics, headphones are--at least in part--a fashion/cultural statement and/or accessory.

It is for me too to an extent, except of course a black/dark grey brushed aluminum look is a lot better than a headphone that reminds me of rice cake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back