Receiever for multiple sources and outputs
Nov 13, 2006 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

wax4213

100+ Head-Fier
This is partially just me thinking out loud, but here's what I'm envisioning as my setup for audio / movies:

CE595 as Redbook source (got it)
Eventually a DAC for the CE595
Laptop w/ Audiophile USB as computer source (got it)
Receiver of some sort
Headfive (most likely, it would be powering my SR60's and DT770/80's)
Insignia bookshelf speakers, the $23 per speaker ones
Possibly a T-Amp

Now, the things that I know nearly nothing about are the receiver, speakers, and the necessity of the T-Amp. I'll be getting these in stages, but I need this rig to be able to handle both music and movies from my CE595 and laptop (eventually a DVD player instead of the laptop for movies, the laptop'll be trashed soon enough, replaced by a desktop and I'd just use the monitor for the DVD player) and be able to output to the speakers or my headphones, depending on the situation. At the moment, I only need 2.0/2.1 for the speakers, and if I were to get more than that (impractical in a 3-man dorm room), I'd be willing to spend money to upgrade in the future. So... I know nothing about what components would go where, or which ones I would even need, for this sort of thing to become a reality. Little bit of help ?
biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, price range: Less than $300 for the receiver, I'll figure out the DAC later, but just through out some options and information and hopefully I'll figure out what I actually want to get
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 30
If you buy a receiver, you won't need a T-Amp as the receiver will cover the amplification section. If you only need 2.0 and have a $300 budget, you're better off buying an integrated amplifier. An integrated amplifier will probably have better sound at the cost of some of a receiver's features (i.e. no internal DACs, no tuner, no surround decoding).

Nov 13, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 30
So if it didn't have an internal DAC, tuner (not necessary, I have a decent one if I want it), or surround decoding (also not necessary, not until I would get a surround system, which will be substantially later), then I'm assuming that the DVD player would have a built in DAC... or if I bought an external DAC for the CE595, could I just switch some cords and alternate between using the DAC for the DVD player and for the CD player and the laptop? As long as I have the backs accessible I don't mind unplugging stuff to use different components. Sorry, I just have no experience with this more complex setup.

Nov 13, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 30
you won't be able to plug multiple sources into the T-Amp. but just about any other integrated amp will have multiple inputs for sources. if you went with something like the Pioneer A-35R or NAD 320BEE (the two i'd recommend that are near your price range), you'd just plug the analogue RCAs from the 595 into the "CD" input and the analogue RCAs from your DVD player into a different input ("Aux," "Video," "Line 1," etc... doesn't matter). then you select the input with the amp's switcher.

Nov 13, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by wax4213
So if it didn't have an internal DAC, tuner (not necessary, I have a decent one if I want it), or surround decoding (also not necessary, not until I would get a surround system, which will be substantially later), then I'm assuming that the DVD player would have a built in DAC... or if I bought an external DAC for the CE595, could I just switch some cords and alternate between using the DAC for the DVD player and for the CD player and the laptop? As long as I have the backs accessible I don't mind unplugging stuff to use different components. Sorry, I just have no experience with this more complex setup.

You have it right. DAC duties will be taken care of either by the DAC in the source (SCD-CE595) or by an external DAC.

Also, I second VicAjax's recommendation for the Pioneer Elite A-35R. According to others who have heard both it and the NAD C320BEE, the NAD is equally good with a leaner sound signature (compared to the A-35R's "wamer" sound), but it's also more expensive. The A-35R's MSRP is $200 with a street price of ~$175.

Nov 14, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 30
The Pioneer Elite A-35R is looking good, and it's just the right amount of money too. I see all the different options for inputs, but it would be preferable to bypass the internal amp for the headphones. Is that possible with this "stereo integrated amp"? Eventually I would just want to use it to switch between sources and outputs with minimal cord switching, and not use its internal amp for the headphones.

It also looks like I would just have the audio for the DVD player (when I get it) going through the A-35R, correct? And the video would just go straight from the DVD player to my monitor or TV or whatever I would happen to have at the time.

I think I'm slowly understanding this more. I think.

Nov 14, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #7 of 30
Yes, that's another difference between a receiver and an integrated amplifier--the integrated amp doesn't touch video signals (which is a good thing).

It sounds like what you're really looking for is a simple "source selector." Basically, a box with a bunch of inputs and one output that doesn't do any kind of amplification. Since it doesn't have any amplification, you wouldn't be able to power speakers like the Insignias you mentioned.

I'm not sure how much you'd have to pay for a decent one; you'll have to ask around. It's sort of a rare problem considering the only reason for needing a source selector instead of a receiver / integrated amplifier is the use of an external headphone amplifier.

Nov 14, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #8 of 30
Nov 14, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 30
infinite:

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was envisioning. I think I'll go with the Pioneer Elite A-35R as sort of an interim solution, and eventually when I have more money and space, I'll get some form of source selector and use a seperate amplifier for the speakers and the heaphones. I might still buy the Headfive... but the headphone out on the A-35R is supposed to be fairly respectable.

Nov 15, 2006 at 11:45 AM Post #11 of 30
If you went with an inexpensive source selector like the one mentioned, it would make sense to pair it with something like the T-Amp. Then, you'd only pay ~$65 for both the amp and the selector.

But, I've never heard the T-Amp or a cheap selector, and I'd imagine the A-35R would sound better if you're willing to pay the price.

Nov 15, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #12 of 30
The way I'm doing it is I have all of my sources running digital into a receiver (VSX-1014TX) and my 5.1 speakers are hooked up to the receiver. If I want to use the speakers I just press the speaker set A button on the remote and the speakers come on. For headphone listening, I just disable the speakers and have the digital out of the receiver going into a DAC (Zhaolu D1.3) and then into an amp and finally my cans. This way I can choose what source to listen to using the receiver.

Nov 16, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #14 of 30
Yeah, I found it was a lot easier to find a receiver with digital out for under $300 if I went back a generation or two. I got my VSX-1014TX for $240 Shipped, and it really has almost all of the features of its older brothers, the VSX-1015TX and VSX-1016TXV, except for an extra component video input on the 1015 and HDMI on the 1016, but none of that mattered since I only plan on using the receiver for audio switching and as an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back