Reccomendations?
Oct 20, 2009 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

phxsuns13

New Head-Fier
Ok, so I am looking to get a good pair of headphones for listening using my computer and my iPod. I would prefer a closed pair because I don't like music leaking.

I've searched and two pairs that seem good are the Sony MDR-7506/V6 and the Shure SRH840. But I would prefer a good pair that has a shorter cable (3ft) or a detachable cable maybe so that I could replace it (can you?). Anyone have any reccomendations for under $200?

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 11
Shure SRH-840 is a great way to go, should not cost much more that $150 and has a detachable, if a bit difficult to modify, relatively short coiled cable. Some critics call it a FOTM (flavor of the month) can, as it is relatively new, but this opinion is (or at least should be) in decline. Shure has done an amazing job with their first offering of closed headphones. Welcome to Head-fi!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #4 of 11
The problem is that the cable inserts and locks into the headphone with a flanged piece of plastic on the end. This makes it more difficult to find a proper attachment to install a straight (not coiled) cable, for instance, as the port in the left side of the headphone is encumbered by the presence of the obstructing plastic. In its unstretched state, however, the stock cable isn't very long (no more than 5 feet). How short do you really need it to be?

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 11
I would prefer it to be short enough for portable use like walking around with my iPod. My friend has the Beats by Dre and I liked the length of that cable, which was 1.3 meters/4.3 feet

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #6 of 11
That's about the same length (not stretched) as the Shures but they are coiled and so may be too bulky for you for portable use. In that case, there are plenty of successful attempts at installing a straight cable of pretty much any desired length. Good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #7 of 11
The get the iHome iHMP5, good for ipods and you can be able to take off your headphones and turn them into speakers, the end result is sub-par audio quality.

The Audio-Technica noise-cancelling QuietPoint ATH-ANC7b is a good option, but the cable is long and are expensive.

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 11
Do you guys think the Sony MDR-7506/V6 or the Shure SRH-840 sound better? I've seen lots of opinions, and these seem to be good headphones. Or anyone have any other suggestions for under $200?

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #9 of 11
I'd go shure srh-840s over the sonys, I really like my sennheiser hd 280s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back