Reccomendations for QUIET transport/CDP
Feb 26, 2006 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

stewtheking

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi

I guess my problem is a moderately unique one as i can't find it discussed (either that or maybe i am blind, but hey). My Cambridge Audio CD5 has served me well for a fair few years, but it makes a persistant "ticking" sound that is getting more annying the higher-end i get. It's not a problem on the signal, but a mechanical noise from the transport itself.

Closer inspection with the lid off reveals that it's at disk-spin speed and i think it's possibly the pick-up movement to compensate for a slightly eccentric disk-movement.

This isn't really a problem for headphone listening during the day when i can have my cans at a moderate level, but late at night i am forced to drop the volume a notch or two and then i start to hear the "ticktickticktickticktick", like a hungry earwig is eating my cd's, and once i've heard it i can't NOT hear it.

Anyway... basically I am looking for a CD player, not looking to spend more than about £300 ($450ish) that has an extremely quiet transport. Anybody any ideas?

The Stew

Oh, and if there are any good reccomendations for just a transport (for a whack less money) that I can use the DAC in my M-audio for the time being with, before upgrading to a better DAC, as long as it is quiet with a capital Q, then that would also be welcome.

Feb 27, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 3
If the transport makes a sound like that it's either poor design, bad CD, or it's on the way out. Has it always made this sound? We have 5 cdplayers in this house (well 3 are dvd players) all are dead silent except for an old Toshiba DVD player that exhibits this problem only when playing CDs.

Except for most of the cheap multi players all transports are usually very silent.

Feb 27, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 3
I have not noticed it doing this until recently, but then again i haven't sat near it to listen until recently.

It does vary from disk to disk though, so perhaps you're right it's maybe partly the disk.

At least it's encouraging that if most players are dead silent i am unlikely to have this problem after I upgrade. Cheers Garbz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back