Reccomendations for port hps
Nov 7, 2005 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Duncandun

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all... I need some reccomendations for some good portable headphones i can use with an Ipod(no amp) well, and has good sound for rockish music IE

Coheed & Cambria
Rage against the machine

to name a couple, Right now I have hd 485 for my home pc Sounds great on them, i like the bassy sound it has esp with some equilizer tweaking.

So anyone have some reccomendations? I wan't to try to stay under the 65-75 dollar range. and no earbuds, I find them horribly uncomfortable.

Thanks!
Andy

Nov 7, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #3 of 8
koss ksc-35 ($30) or 75 ($20). Very portable and okay for rock, leaks sound though.

For a semi-portable headphone, I'd recommend the grado sr-60. ($60-80) Great for rock, but quite bulky and leaks even more sound than the kosses.

Nov 7, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #4 of 8
Isolation would be ideal as it will be in a school-esque setting, I have heard about/seen pictures of earcanal buds, i guess thats what they are called... do they leak? hows the sound quality on them? Are they fairly comfortable?

As to the px100s, i had some actually but they broke. I had always thought they were quite shoddly built. (also the right ear went out befor they finally broke, i think the copper wiring actually fragmented inside of the lining, as the connection to the ear was still O.K.)

Nov 7, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncandun
Isolation would be ideal as it will be in a school-esque setting, I have heard about/seen pictures of earcanal buds, i guess thats what they are called... do they leak? hows the sound quality on them? Are they fairly comfortable?

Most canalphones aka IEMs (In ear monitors) isolate very well. As for sound quality, yes they can be good. Although, realize that you are paying a premium for the isolation/compactness. Comfort is hit or miss. Some iems can be downright painful and weird (etymotic er-4s for ex.), but usually over time you adjust; and it just feels natural. But . . there are those who never acclimate, and simply can't stand having something shoved in their ear.

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #7 of 8
Well, I don't have too much experience in the IEM area (only owned/used two), so I'm sure others will help you. Til then, there are many writeups (reviews, impressions, etc) on/between the various head-fi recommended models, just do a search. I.e "canalphone", "iem", etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back