Reccomendations for Headphones with Mids
Dec 31, 2016 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

EMAudio

New Head-Fier
I currently have the audio technica ath-msr7 and phillips fidelio x2, both have a somewhat v-shaped sound with the x2 leaning more toward bass and the msr7 being brighter. I want an around ear headphone that has a warm sound and very good mids that has an impedance of less than 150Ω. It does not matter whether they are opened or closed and I have a budget of $300.

Dec 31, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 12
msr7 is v shaped? That headphone has forward mids and very bright treble, the bass is slightly weak which makes it anything but v shaped. I would look at the k612 or b&o h6 for some good mids, both of which have a slight lower treble dip though

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 12
I really like my DT880 Premium 250 Ohms headphones.. they are very comfortable ..and pretty neutral headphones..  they have a tendency to be a bit bright depending on amping..   I have been using mine mostly w/ a rather warm vintage receiver and then since xmas a DV336Tube amp..  

I have had my 880's for 3~yrs.. I love them very much they are the headphones I use most.. here.   The DT880's are available in a 32Ohms version.

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 12
  I really like my DT880 Premium 250 Ohms headphones.. they are very comfortable ..and pretty neutral headphones..  they have a tendency to be a bit bright depending on amping..   I have been using mine mostly w/ a rather warm vintage receiver and then since xmas a DV336Tube amp..  

I have had my 880's for 3~yrs.. I love them very much they are the headphones I use most.. here.   The DT880's are available in a 32Ohms version.

How is the DV336 Tube amp working out for you? I ordered one off of Massdrop, but I'm beginning to think that I won't need it for Alpha Primes and/or HE-400i headphones that I plan on buying in a few weeks. Are you sticking with the stock tubes?

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 12

dt880 and mid centric don't go in the same sentence. They won't offer better mids than the msr7 for sure

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 12
  How is the DV336 Tube amp working out for you? I ordered one off of Massdrop, but I'm beginning to think that I won't need it for Alpha Primes and/or HE-400i headphones that I plan on buying in a few weeks. Are you sticking with the stock tubes?

I have been loving my DV336.. I ordered mine w/ amazon prime shipping when it was on sale before xmas (probably ~$20 more than massdrop w/ everything figured in?? got it in 2 days.

I used mine w/ the stock tubes for a week or so... not bad .. fine really.    But I have got a few NOS tubes ..currently RCA 6AS7G AND GE 6SN7GTB... most certainly a improvement over the stock tubes.

I have mostly used the DV w/ my 250Ohms DT880's but also my DT770 Pro 80's and ATH-M50's .. I like it with the other headphones as well.     I do not have any idea how it is w/ the alpha primes or HE-400i's however.

But I really like it so far.. been using it ~3weeks or so now.

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 12
  dt880 and mid centric don't go in the same sentence. They won't offer better mids than the msr7 for sure

I find the mids pretty agreeable w/ the DT880's ... I guess they are not boosted certainly but they are there.. pretty balanced sound I find.. I tend to mostly listen to older well mastered recordings.. I will say the few times I have tried to listen to loudness wars butchered more modern stuff it hasn't been fun.. but I have yet to find anything that stuff sounds bearable on..

Dec 31, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 12
  msr7 is v shaped? That headphone has forward mids and very bright treble, the bass is slightly weak which makes it anything but v shaped. I would look at the k612 or b&o h6 for some good mids, both of which have a slight lower treble dip though

The msr7 is not that v-shaped but still has a slightly v-shaped sound with forward upper mids, I want a headphone with a warmer sound and more focused on lower mids. The h6 seems like something I would want based on what I've heard about their sound but if anyone has other suggestions from what I've said feel free to respond.

Dec 31, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #9 of 12
I suggest that you should listen to an HE 400S, whose mids are its very considerable strength. Whether the lower mids are satisfactorily to your liking, of course only you will be able to say. 

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #11 of 12
  The msr7 is not that v-shaped but still has a slightly v-shaped sound with forward upper mids, I want a headphone with a warmer sound and more focused on lower mids. The h6 seems like something I would want based on what I've heard about their sound but if anyone has other suggestions from what I've said feel free to respond.

upper mids? they have a boost at 1-3khz and a dip thereafter. If below 1khz is what you want more of, that makes the msr7 more of a lean/bright sounding headphone than v shaped. The h6 definitely offers better lower mids

Jan 1, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #12 of 12
K702 has forward midrange but it's not that warm and it's not easy to drive.
HD600 is warm and has forward mids, but it's 300 Ohm (still easier to drive than the K702)
SRH-1840 has forward midrange and it's slightly easier to drive than the HD600 but it's over 300 usd normally.
K601 and K612 are harder to drive than HD600

Anyway, most quality headphones benefit from a small amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back