Reccomendations for entry-level tube headphone amp?
Nov 17, 2006 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

awptickes

100+ Head-Fier
I live in Europe, so I require a 240 Volt amp. I am also planning to return back to the United States within the next year or so, so I would like to either invest in an ampliflier that will retain resale value, or I can easily switch to 120 Volts.

I'm looking for something entry level, preferably with output transformers, but they are not needed. Loop-through is also something that is not needed, but could be something to wish for. I'm *really* new to tubes, so any advice anyone can give is apreceiated.

Another question, hybrid or pure tube?

Nov 18, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #2 of 5
but i have found amp selection is fiercely dependent on the type of cans you prefer. so, the type of headphones used will perhaps help others in aiding in your search.

my first amp was the creek obh-11 i used it with both my senn hd580's and my grado sr80's. this amp in my opinion was fine, but didnt branish superior sonic might to my arcam a65 and nad 7120. wasnt till i got my grado ra-1 (dc) that i notice a descent jump in quality. also the grado amp sounds good with my grado's naturally, but it suffered with my senn collection. for my senn's i prefer my eddie current EC-01. the EC-01 is based on the Laconic HA-03B which is actually a russian product...perhaps it can be easily converted over to 240V. i also know the grado ra1 and the eddie current products in general rarely have trouble moving on the sale forum. hope this helps. good luck in your search.

Nov 18, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 5
Why not pick up a Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 from ebay? Great amp in stock form, and upgrades can enhance it no end. Some people think it's better than the current V3 version when modded. Used prices make it really excellent value too.

Pluck

Nov 18, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt-Pluck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not pick up a Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 from ebay? Great amp in stock form, and upgrades can enhance it no end. Some people think it's better than the current V3 version when modded. Used prices make it really excellent value too.

Pluck

Yes, and then all you need is a new wall wart. This amp rocks!

Nov 18, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by awptickes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I live in Europe, so I require a 240 Volt amp. I am also planning to return back to the United States within the next year or so, so I would like to either invest in an ampliflier that will retain resale value, or I can easily switch to 120 Volts.

I'm looking for something entry level, preferably with output transformers, but they are not needed. Loop-through is also something that is not needed, but could be something to wish for. I'm *really* new to tubes, so any advice anyone can give is apreceiated.

Another question, hybrid or pure tube?

I prefer hybrid. The Rudistor hybrid is worthy of consideration in Europe.

For a low cost and good sound the Xian Sheng 708B all tube is a good one. Click on the link below. Should find for $200 USD somehere. Need to change tubes from the stock ones.

Mine is 220 volt and used with a step down transformer in the USA (you can get transformers on ebay for about $15 total - need a 100 watt rated one).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back