reccomendation for open-backed headphone to replace Senn HD570?
Jun 17, 2015 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Thunder240

100+ Head-Fier
My Senn HD570s are finally dying, after 12-13 years of use. They were my first pair of audiophile headphones, and since then I've bought a few other pairs for various purposes. I have some higher impedance headphones that I use at home when I can listen with an amp, and I have some portable low impedance closed-back headphones that sound decent through an iphone, but there are still some occasions when I want I'm in a quiet room and want a full size, open backed phone but I don't have the luxury of an amp, and in these situations I always have gone to my 570s, which sound great through my iphone (til the right driver finally crapped out).

So,  I'm looking for something that fits the following bill:

-- less then $400 (willing to buy used)

-- sounds good unamplified (this is very important to me -- these headphones will be used primarily to play from an iphone)

-- open backed

-- circumaural

-- very comfortable (I'm a 7 3/4" hat size, and I'd prefer something that doesn't clamp too tight).

As for sound, I've always liked the Sennheiser richness, as opposed to something that may be more accurate but sounds skimpy. I'd prefer the highs be relaxed rather than bright. Also, I'm not a bass head, but I do appreciate good extension and a nice tight thump. The 570s were just fine in this respect. Having said that, I'm not wedded to Sennheiser. I realize that at the < 400 price point I'm not going to get fancy materials. Plastic is fine as long as the pads are comfortable!

Any recommendations? Do my requirements sound contradictory?

Jun 20, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks, I'll check them out! Any others?

Jun 20, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 6
Most of the popular open headphones in your budget range require at least some kind of amp. Thus your options are very limited. Whereas a portable amp like the Fiio E12 would let you power most higher impedance headphones pretty well for use with your iPhone. That's what I do when I want to use my AKG K7XX somewhere else in the house--use the E12 with it.

Jul 11, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 6
Hey guys, just wanted to update you. After trying out a bunch of phones at every audio store I could find in the DC metro area, I decided to spring for the Shure SRH1840s. I got them for 450, which is a touch above my original price point of 400. However, I love their natural sound and found them to be very comfortable on my head. They aren't at their best out of an iPhone but still tolerably good, while when I'm at home with my full rig, they sound sublime.

Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back