Reccomendation for headphones daily use (like Riding bicylcle to school)
Jun 12, 2006 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Kaaspeer

Head-Fier
Alright i've just bought some Sennheiser HD 201's because i just happened to have that turtle beach micro sound card and I really like it.
After i've listened to that thing and go back to my earbuds on my Vision:M I just want to hook up those cans on my Vision:M but imho they're a bit to big for that.

So i'm looking for a set of cans that are quite small but still have good sound quality.

Budget: about €75,-

I was thinking of:

Sennheiser PX100/200
Koss KSC75
AKG K24/26

Which one would you suggest or any other options?

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 25
Nope not wearing a helmet, made a typo it's just going to school on my bicycle (i'm too young for a motorbike >_<) Edited the title

What about In-ear earbuds? Those SHURE ones are too expensive but something like the Senn CX300 or Sony MDR-EX71SL/MDR-EX81SL

Jun 12, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 25
You probably shouldn't wear IEM's or even canal phones, because you need to be able to hear the ambient noises around you in your environment (while you are riding your bicycle). It's dangerous if you disconnect yourself from the world with these isolating headphones, because you wouldn't be able to hear an oncoming car or something.

Jun 12, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Both PX100 as KSC75 sound good on the ZVM. But they are just as open as earbuds. I don't like the PX200s at all.

If he's riding his bike around with them on, I would think he would absolutely need open headphones.

Jun 12, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
If he's riding his bike around with them on, I would think he would absolutely need open headphones.

Yes, you're right. I forgot about that for a second.

Jun 12, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 25
My experience has been that earbuds work the best when riding a bicycle as they don't affect my ability to sense my surroundings in a significant enough manner as to inhibit safety. I recommend 'brighter' earbuds like MDR-E838s plus modification as this permits lower volume levels while still being able to hear enough of the music.

Jun 12, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #10 of 25
Cycling with IEMs are a bad idea unless you want to get killed/kill some one. Get open headphones, it's a lot safer for everyone.

Jun 12, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
My experience has been that earbuds work the best when riding a bicycle as they don't affect my ability to sense my surroundings in a significant enough manner as to inhibit safety. I recommend 'brighter' earbuds like MDR-E838s plus modification as this permits lower volume levels while still being able to hear enough of the music.

I'm sure he listens to his player more than just on his bike rides to school. I think...

Kaaspeer, if you're Dutch by any change, Wehkamp sells PX100s usually a bit cheaper than other places. But don't forget to factor in the shipping charges.

Jun 12, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Yes, you're right. I forgot about that for a second.

Not nececsserily. I ride bicycle with my Shures e3c in downtown Chicago all the time. A few of my personal observations:
1. The IEM is never fully isolating, especially when I move a lot, like ride bicycle.
2. By blocking out excessive background noise, my ears became more sensitive than usual. I can actually identify moving sound that is near me easier. Kinda like wearing sun shades improves contrast, thus helping one to see better in bright light.
3. Chicago is one of noisest city. On a typical day, the combined orchestration of buses, police cars, firetrucks and ambulences is enough to drive me crazy. By reducing stress level, my mental alertness improves.
4. I definitely had harder time hearimg people yelling. But then again, in any big city, people yell at each other for unknown reasons all the time.

If you are truely concerned, the Sony 71/81 are great compromises, for they block out much less than the Shure. None of this will help though if you turn the volumn up so high that you ears become desensitized, even with open phones. I usually leave the volumn just above the background noise. You ears will readjust to the right level of sensitivty.

So, use common sense, and enjoy your ride.

unary

Jun 12, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 25
Well i use it more than just on my bicycle but i hate the noise of the wind when i'm wearing earbuds, i used to have Koss headphones with a headband but the cable broke.

The price of the PX100 is nice on Wehkamp but i hear people liking the AKG K26 p better than the PX100 while the price is about the same.

I guess it will be either the PX100 or the K26

Jun 12, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #14 of 25
I would think twice on the K26P I know I can not be the only one here that feels that way. They have to be the most overrated cans...The sound is well muddy, sure there is a decent amount of bass, but they are not enjoyable cans. The are really uncomfortable, there is these 2 little knobs(for auto adjusting) that have some padding and rest on the top of your head (after 10 minutes they give me a headache) the pads them self hurt my ears after more then 15 minutes....

I don't know if I am in a minority of K26P owners that aren't happy, or maybe there is quality control issues at the overseas plant and some people are getting decent can's some aren't? Needless to say I haven't listened to mine in about 4 months.

Jun 12, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #15 of 25
Hi i'm also looking for 'bicycle headphones', so far I tried the ksc75, superfi5pro and the sony nx1 (I think they are the same as the ex51 or 71),

the koss 75 and 5pro are both unusable on the bike, terrible wind noise, a very high volume is needed to overpower all the noise

the sony's are good, they don't stick out much -> less wind noise, and they also isolate a bit. sound quality isn't very good but I don't care, if ibuds would pick up less wind noise (and they don't), i'd use them
another advantage of the sonys: when it starts to rain I dont have to take them out, I don't care if they get wet/damaged, so far they survived a lot of rain

best headphones when riding a bicycle: canalphones that don't stick out, I'd like to try an etymotic, but don't want to risk falling on my head when something sticks deep in my ear. so I'm looking for a 'semi'-IEM that doesn't stick out (even less than the sony's) and, preferably, is cheap so I can use it in the rain and toss it around.

And regarding safety, I live in the netherlands -> lot's of dedicated bicycle roads, even in the cities. but I don't use headphones when riding in the middle of amsterdam in between all the traffic and I think no one should

bas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back