Reccomendation for 2.1 speaker setup
Sep 17, 2010 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mannyd11

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm looking to invest in a new pair of computer speakers and I'm looking to spend $180CDN max before taxes.  So far I've been considering the likes of the Edifier S330D, Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and the Logitech Z-2300's.  What I want from these speakers is something that can deliver crisp music quality and with a whole lot of bass.  I'm not much of an audiophile so I don't think I can really articulate what I want better than that.  The speakers will be primarily used for music and maybe some gaming in the future.  

If there are another set of 2.1's you guys think would be better for that price range let me know.  Btw newegg.ca or ncix.ca will be the site of choice.

Cheers

Sep 17, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 11
Well, I'd suggest these in order or best to not so good:

1. Klipsch promedia

2. Edifier s330

3. Logitech z2300

All 3 will give you plenty of bass... But the klipsch will be best for musicality.

In case you wanted something more "audiophile" / professional / monitor quality:

.... Futureshop just started carrying KRK speakers!!

Most of them only have the Krk Rokit5 - checkout their DJ area. They cost about $180 each (now on sale is less*); but are awesome!
With these, you really don't need a sub:try it!
they are a 2.0 set that you can add a subwoofer from them or any other brands: IF you need more bass.

These have 5"glass aramid woofers/softdome tweeters : and are bi-amped. This means a total of 4dedicated amps for a 2.0 system. They are on the "larger" side: but if you want musicality... They are amongst the best available in Canada.

Audioengine also has some great offerings: A2 & A5... But are not bi-amped, less power... But still sound great.

Audioengine can be found in London Drugs, Westword, Simply computing.

Good luck!

Sep 17, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 11
Just curious ... would the Edifier s330 be an upgrade from my very old Altec Lansing 221 and how do they compare with the Creative T40 II?

I would have wanted something like the Swan 1080 MKIII, but I have no space for those larger powered speakers. I think the Creative T40 is as large as I can go.

Quote:
Well, I'd suggest these in order or best to not so good:

1. Klipsch promedia

2. Edifier s330

3. Logitech z2300

All 3 will give you plenty of bass... But the klipsch will be best for musicality.

In case you wanted something more "audiophile" / professional / monitor quality:

.... Futureshop just started carrying KRK speakers!!

Most of them only have the Krk Rokit5 - checkout their DJ area. They cost about $180 each (now on sale is less*); but are awesome!
With these, you really don't need a sub:try it!
they are a 2.0 set that you can add a subwoofer from them or any other brands: IF you need more bass.

These have 5"glass aramid woofers/softdome tweeters : and are bi-amped. This means a total of 4dedicated amps for a 2.0 system. They are on the "larger" side: but if you want musicality... They are amongst the best available in Canada.

Audioengine also has some great offerings: A2 & A5... But are not bi-amped, less power... But still sound great.

Audioengine can be found in London Drugs, Westword, Simply computing.

Good luck!

Sep 18, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 11
The s330 - my buddy has them and their sound is pretty bright and the bass is very strong and punchy... Vocals are decent too. For their price, they are good speakers. He got them from ncix too.

As for the Altec Lansing 221... I got them from craigslist used: just for the amp (parts) for a diy project... And I listened to them thoroughly before taking them apart. They do have a decent full sound, but the bass is uncontrolled, overpowering and boomy.
So I assure you that the s330 will be a huge step up.
I've never listened to the t40 but had the t10: which is not bad also for the price... At least they have dedicated tweeters.

Hope this helps!!

Sep 18, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #6 of 11
Right on about the Altec Lansing 221's bass - very boomy and overpowering. I use a large slice of foam to block the front port, and even then I have to EQ the bass down a little.

Thanks for the info!

Quote:
The s330 - my buddy has them and their sound is pretty bright and the bass is very strong and punchy... Vocals are decent too. For their price, they are good speakers. He got them from ncix too.

As for the Altec Lansing 221... I got them from craigslist used: just for the amp (parts) for a diy project... And I listened to them thoroughly before taking them apart. They do have a decent full sound, but the bass is uncontrolled, overpowering and boomy.
So I assure you that the s330 will be a huge step up.
I've never listened to the t40 but had the t10: which is not bad also for the price... At least they have dedicated tweeters.

Hope this helps!!

Sep 24, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 11
Not heard them myself, but I've seen a lot of recommendations for the Acoustic Energy Aego M's for a 2.1 setup, albeit on AVForums and Overclockers, who aren't obviously soley concerned with music playback. The satellites are very small but apparently sound huge, and the sub is supposed to be a fair bit less boomy than stuff like the Logitechs. Criticism's I've seen have said they lack in the mids, but at the same time I've seen a lot of people who're happy with them and they're apparently as good as you can get in their price range.

Sep 25, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Not heard them myself, but I've seen a lot of recommendations for the Acoustic Energy Aego M's for a 2.1 setup, albeit on AVForums and Overclockers, who aren't obviously soley concerned with music playback. The satellites are very small but apparently sound huge, and the sub is supposed to be a fair bit less boomy than stuff like the Logitechs. Criticism's I've seen have said they lack in the mids, but at the same time I've seen a lot of people who're happy with them and they're apparently as good as you can get in their price range.

basically the Aego M get a lot of love on UK forums as they are widely available here and good, they somewhat get ignored round here because they arent so available in the US. 

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #11 of 11
I'll second the emotion for the Aego-M's.

I have a set of A2s on my desktop at work and the Aego M's behind me hooked up to another computer. While I'm a big fan of the A2s for their pleasant neutrality, I almost always put my music on the Aegos computer. Another poster correctly notes they don't have the mid-range, but they make up for it with a better than average soundstage and a lot of detail at the high end.

I run a small tv newsroom in upstate New York and have lots of different computers hooked up to various sources/speakers - the A2s and the Aegos are constants as other things get changed in and out.

Scott A.
Watertown NY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back