Reccomend me some upgrades!
Dec 1, 2005 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dougmwpsu

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all, I've just reciently gone through an upgrade fury, and the results have been stunning. I went from a chaintech>radioshack mini-mini>superdual>sr-80 or er-4p
to:
A chaintech>big heavy rca cable>headsave classic w/ opa 627's> hf-1 or hd580 w/ hd650 cord.

The upgrade had been incredible, and all told, I only spent 70 bucks on the equipment switchup... what a sweet deal! however i've been left wondering where i can go from here as far as upgrades go. i'm not really sure what would qualify as the weak point in my system and am interested in hearing suggestions for further refinement. if anyone has any thoughts on the matter, i'd be happy to hear them,
Thanks!
Doug

Dec 1, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dougmwpsu
A chaintech>big heavy rca cable>headsave classic w/ opa 627's> hf-1 or hd580 w/ hd650 cord.

"Big heavy RCA cable" doesn't sound so convincing to me.
icon10.gif

Dec 1, 2005 at 7:41 AM Post #4 of 8
well since i own one cd and have 500+ albums on my computer in compressed format(at a quality that abxing tells me is indistinguishable from lossless to my ears of course
biggrin.gif
), i doubt i'll be switching to stand alone players anytime soon. also the rca is gold plated with about a centamater diamater wires, so i'd consider it convincingly hefty

Dec 1, 2005 at 2:50 PM Post #6 of 8
An external DAC is probably best single piece you could add. Geting the d to a conversion outside of the noisy computer environment, coupled with a higher quality dac and output stage than on your sound card should make for a noticable improvement.

Dec 1, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dougmwpsu
well since i own one cd and have 500+ albums on my computer in compressed format

Then I suggest saving your money and investing it in music CDs that not only sound better, but also help to support your favorite artists. BTW, how did you ABX all of your files if you don't have the original source CDs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back