Reccomend me some music!
Oct 24, 2006 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

PYROphonez

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for almost any type of music. My favorite is rock, but I listen to everything (other than country
tongue.gif
)
Some bands I listen to:
AC/DC
Iron Maiden
Avenged Sevenfold
The Mars Volta
System of a Down
Audioslave
Rage Against the Machine
Red Hot Chili Peppers

I don't have cds for all of these bands.
I'm looking for anything. I truly have almost no cds, and want to get some high quality sound instead of compressed mp3s. I want my K701s to shine.
biggrin.gif
Recommend me anything at all as long as it isn't country. If anybody knows of some good, cheap online providers, I'd appreciate that. (the FS section is helpful too)

Any suggestions are appreciated!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 17
For a great female vocalist (who defies genre) you can't beat Eva Cassidy. She sings blues, jazz, gospel, and pop ballads. Maybe not what a typical rock fan might get into, but I've known more than a few heavy metal types who've been blown away by her voice. I think it was Ozzy Osbourne who said he cried the first time he heard her.

She's also a great way to show off your high-end headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

A little sample of her voice:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=K7-haKkFnT8
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JGE_Fd9B6-4

Oct 24, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 17
I'd start first by revising your "I listen to almost everything" phrase. That's physically and theoretically impossible due to the lack of a music collection. Also, just about every single band you mentioned falls under the "popular" category of rock music.

You're obviously stuck listening to simple music. Before branching off into other genres, try getting into some more complex rock music. Prog rock, such as Yes, Can, Faust, Zaar, Emerson Lake and Palmer - and jam bands such as Phish and Medeski Martin and Wood. You'll start hearing the classical and jazz influences in this music, and then you'll be able to expand. If you listen to anything even remotely close to sophisticated right now, you'll probably dismiss it for life.

Oct 24, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 17
You should give a listen to Muse--really a fantastic group.

Oct 24, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 17
Here's what Ozzy said about Eva:

Interviewer: 'What was the last record you bought?'
Ozzy: 'When I was in England recently I was working out on my exercise bike, watching GMTV. And they did this piece about an American girl called Eva Cassidy, who died of cancer. She's got an album with a cover of Over The Rainbow on it. I was sat there, tears rolling down, and ended up buying four copies of the cd.'

Oct 24, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 17
Listen to the classics, man! The Beatles, the Stones, Pink Floyd, and Jimi Hendrix are all great places to start.

Oct 25, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I'd start first by revising your "I listen to almost everything" phrase. That's physically and theoretically impossible due to the lack of a music collection. Also, just about every single band you mentioned falls under the "popular" category of rock music.

You're obviously stuck listening to simple music. Before branching off into other genres, try getting into some more complex rock music. Prog rock, such as Yes, Can, Faust, Zaar, Emerson Lake and Palmer - and jam bands such as Phish and Medeski Martin and Wood. You'll start hearing the classical and jazz influences in this music, and then you'll be able to expand. If you listen to anything even remotely close to sophisticated right now, you'll probably dismiss it for life.

What I meant by listen to almost everything, is that I don't mind listening to any kind of music. I enjoy most types of music. I've heard Phish a few times, but don't know much in the ways of prog rock. I'll check some out.

@SysteX: A few friends of mine listen to them
@sebascrub: I like a few Beatles songs. Not a big fan of some of their stuff. Jimi Hendrix is good, and I haven't listened to much of the stones. My parents went to a concert. I don't enjoy pink floyd that much.

By the way, I also listen to Queen, Guns N Roses (not my favorite, but they're good), the offspring, OK Go, Nirvana, and a bit of ELO once in a while.
I really have to get around to buying some Rob Dougan cds. I love his work.

As I previously stated, I listen mainly to rock, but I have a wide taste of music. Techno, hip-hop (just a bit), you name it, I probably won't care what I listen to, as long as it isn't one of those pop songs played on the radio day after day after day.

By the way, 2 mornings in a row I've woken to the song Sixty Minute Man. I don't know who it was done by, but it isn't the original version. It was on a rock station (The Rock 106.9 WCCC) that I set my alarm to. Any ideas of what rock bands have done this song?

Oct 25, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 17
30 Seconds to Mars might be a good choice for you. The Mars Volta is somewhat like them, and even though the lead singer is an actor, this is definitely not a band created for existing fans. He's got a sick voice and the music backs up the vocals extremely well.
orphsmile.gif

Oct 25, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #9 of 17
Before going out and buying CDs of bands you have never heard, you may want to see if they are available on Pandora.com (free music service) and give them a listen first. Then if you like them, buy the CD. You can get CDs for 5.99 on yourmusic.com.

I would recommend the classics (Jazz: Coltrane and Miles, Blues: Muddy and Wolf, America Songbook: Sinatra and Billie Holiday, etc... ) like others have mentioned and go from there.

I would also recommend Soundgarden's "Superunknown" in the style you already appreciate.

You may want to wait a while before buying "Trout Mask Replica". :wink:

Oct 25, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #10 of 17
The group I'm plugging this week is Sepultura. It's a metal band from Brazil, they've been around for ages. You like soad and rage, so I think you would dig it.

Oct 25, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger
Before going out and buying CDs of bands you have never heard, you may want to see if they are available on Pandora.com (free music service) and give them a listen first. Then if you like them, buy the CD. You can get CDs for 5.99 on yourmusic.com.

I would recommend the classics (Jazz: Coltrane and Miles, Blues: Muddy and Wolf, America Songbook: Sinatra and Billie Holiday, etc... ) like others have mentioned and go from there.

I would also recommend Soundgarden's "Superunknown" in the style you already appreciate.

You may want to wait a while before buying "Trout Mask Replica". :wink:

Of course I would listen before I buy. I use pandora once in a while, and sometimes wmp media guide.
@Cirkustanz: I've heard about Sepultura, but haven't had the chance to check them out.
@Oistrakh: Beethoven is great. For about a week I couldn't stop listening to the 9th.

Oct 25, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #13 of 17
The Velvet Underground
Melvins
Boris

Oct 25, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #14 of 17
Moonspell - The Butterfly Effect (goth metal)
Zion I - True & Livin (hip hop)
Cibelle (any album will do, brazilian music, very chilled vibe here)
Omar Faruk Tekbilek, Azam Ali, Yair Dalal - One (middle eastern, afrikan type of sounds here, great instrumentation as well)
Ramasutra (electronica with a tad bit of worldy influence)
Wax Poetic - Wax Poetic (jazz, hip hop, electronica etc)

^^^ all good shyt imo and something different than what you listen to normally, perhaps

Oct 31, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by yyoo
For a great female vocalist (who defies genre) you can't beat Eva Cassidy. She sings blues, jazz, gospel, and pop ballads. Maybe not what a typical rock fan might get into, but I've known more than a few heavy metal types who've been blown away by her voice. I think it was Ozzy Osbourne who said he cried the first time he heard her.

She's also a great way to show off your high-end headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

A little sample of her voice:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=K7-haKkFnT8
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JGE_Fd9B6-4

They did a segment on 60 Minutes about her a few years ago. That's when I got hooked. Have everything she ever recorded now. Voice of an angel....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back