Reccomend me some CD's.
Sep 30, 2003 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Hajime

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello there. After Tuberoller's post about how great Chicago music fans are I've decided that I need to expand my CD collection. I really love artists with great voices. (Freddie Mercury is, in my opinion, the greatest singer I've ever heard.) I focus mainly on 'Classic rock' such as Queen, the Stones, etc with a focus on the vocals.

I dislike Pink Floyd. I also dislike rap, pop, most 'new' music and country. Recommend me some CD's to try out! Thanks.

Sep 30, 2003 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 18
Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing
Bryan Adams - So far so good
Unwritten Law - Elva

biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2003 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 18
if you love artists with great voices check out Dream Theater. album "Scenes From a Memory."

Also, Aaron Lewis from Staind has an amazing voice. Album "14 shades of grey" is simply awesome.

Sep 30, 2003 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 18
If you want to hear a band heavil influenced by Queen, look up Blind Guardian, they would be best described as Queen meets speed metal, their last three albums have been progressively less heavy metal and more theatrical. Hell, they even named their most recent album "A Night At The Opera." That album has an awesome 14-minute epic, which was also released as a single.

EDIT

I second the Dream Theater suggestion, that album in particular is my favorite of all-time by any artist.

And Rage Agaisnt the Machine might not be a good idea, for someone who dislikes rapping. Maybe Audioslave would be more applicable.

Sep 30, 2003 at 7:49 AM Post #6 of 18
I second the BG suggestion. The 14 minute song is called And Then There Was Silence. BG is a bit different than the other bands mentioned...They perform most of their songs with a symphony. I enjoy all of their music very much, but I can see how some people would think that Blind Guardian is a bit . . . too much, I guess. Check out that song, though.

Sep 30, 2003 at 7:52 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by johnny sack
I enjoy all of their music very much, but I can see how some people would think that Blind Guardian is a bit . . . too much, I guess. Check out that song, though.

Over-the-top is the word I believe. And I agree although I enjoy their music as well. Queen's far superior of course
smily_headphones1.gif
And Nightfall in Middle-Earth is much better than A Night at the Opera, IMO. It helps to be a Tolkien fan of course, but I just got tired of their newest rather quickly. I don't know. Maybe it was aiming for too much.

Sep 30, 2003 at 7:54 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
Over-the-top is the word I believe.

yes i suppose that would have worked :p

Sep 30, 2003 at 7:56 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by johnny sack
yes i suppose that would have worked :p

I thought so too
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2003 at 8:04 AM Post #10 of 18
Yeah, we metal fans are not exactly renowned for our modesty, I love BG and all their percieved excesses. At least they're not as high on the chesiness scale as say Hammerfall, Manowar, or Rhapsody, though each of those bands has its' own merits. It's always interesting to see a Queen fan's reaction to BG, especially if the have little to no knowledge of metal.
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2003 at 8:51 AM Post #11 of 18
If you like vocals, great voices like Jeff Buckley's are really hard to come by.

I recommend Grace - Jeff Buckley.

Sep 30, 2003 at 2:46 PM Post #13 of 18
A little generic, but ...

Al Green
Alison Krauss
Bessie Smith
Billie Holiday
Buddy Guy
Casearia Evora
Ella Fitzgerald
Etta James
Eva Turner
Everything But The Girl
Frank Sinatra
Gillian Welch
Hem
James Taylor
John Lennon
Johnny Cash
Kate Rusby
Lucinda Williams
Maria Callas
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
Simon & Garfunkel
Rufus Wainwright
Ryan Adams
Sarah Vaughan
Sinead O'Conner
Tom Waits
Tony Bennett
Wilco
Whiskeytown

There's some country, but every genre has its good stuff. Most is outside what you're specifically requesting, but you're looking for new stuff right?

Sep 30, 2003 at 3:33 PM Post #14 of 18
Nick Cave has a unique vocal, his older stuff rocks...Paul Weller is another oldie worth checking...From the newer stuff, the new Pearl Jam album "Riot Act" is, IMO, very very good. To my liking, it doesn`t sound too "grungy". Eddie Wedder (finaly) sounds confident and unpretentious at the same time. Audioslave`s debut is my hard rock album leader in the year 2003. I like it even more than the last two Soundgarden albums. Very powerful vocals. Faith No More`s Mike Patton had his own style too. I love their last two records.

Try before buying and happy listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back