Reccomend me, oh all-knowledgable oracles of sound!
May 4, 2006 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TheFormulaJam

New Head-Fier
EDIT:
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
AHAahahahaha!!! Found those beautiful PMX200s!!! Hiding in a bag of maps in my mum's room! (!??!) aaaah....so happy.

Awesome...

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hey. First post on this forum, looks like a nice place.

Right, to business. Im looking for some headphones for general use to replace my other ones. Which i lost.

Cannot express how annoyed i am about that. But no use crying over.... spilt.... headphones....? Ahem.

Because of the budget constraints of being a student, i can't really afford to buy as high-end as i'd like to. My budget is probably about £50 max ($92.0480 apparently).

Problem is, i dont really know which brands are good, it's very hard to find unbiased opinions.

My previous headphones were sennheiser PMX200s, fairly low-end but were fine for me. I'd like to aim a little higher this time. My priorites are:

1: Bass
2: Clarity
3: Whatever the term is for not annoying everyone around you with a tinny version of what you're listening to
4: Size (i would like to wear them walking around, i have a pair of HD212pros for bulky listening)
5: Not silver
smily_headphones1.gif

I generally listen to rock, metal and electronica. Occasionally a little jazz too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Alternatively, you could just tell me where i put my old ones.

May 4, 2006 at 11:32 AM Post #2 of 12
The AKG K81 DJ is my two cents.Under £50 closed,with base.Koss KSC75 can be bought for very little,ive only had it a week and already ive given away my PX100 to my sister,its INCREDIBLE for the price.

May 4, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 12
Help YOU!! Cripe! I'm runnin' in circles myself tring to figure out what to do next!!

Geeez!!

......doin' pretty good til I hit your No. 3 priority.......ok. that's out......
frown.gif

I used to misplace my cans too, til I added bright yellow pads to them, now at least I won't sit on then in partial darkness.

......dosen't help me forget where I put them, though.......

---------------

I was about to mention Grado SR-60s, or for a few pennies more the Grado/Alessandro MS-1(a personal favorite)but they both leak a bit of sound; being open designs, and they may be a little large.

Well........at least they're not silver!!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 12
The sound leakage thing is fairly important for me, y' see. It annoys the hell out of me when someone's listening through stock ipod headphones and you can hear the horrible tinny rendition.

I'd rather not expose anyone to that.

Can anyone else vouch for the AKG K81 DJs or the Koss KSC75s? So i can get two opinions?

I've checked behind all my dressers! They're not there!

I noticed the grado SR-60s, they look pretty good. How big are they compared to the average ear?

May 4, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 12
Both the K81 and the KSC-75 are great headphones, very well regarded here. The KSC-75 leaks a bit but not much, while the K81 does not leak at all. The SR-60 doesn't leak, it pours.

I'd get the K81 in your position.

May 4, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFormulaJam
The sound leakage thing is fairly important for me, y' see. It annoys the hell out of me when someone's listening through stock ipod headphones and you can hear the horrible tinny rendition.

I'd rather not expose anyone to that.

Can anyone else vouch for the AKG K81 DJs or the Koss KSC75s? So i can get two opinions?

I've checked behind all my dressers! They're not there!

I noticed the grado SR-60s, they look pretty good. How big are they compared to the average ear?

Actually, the Grados; while being full-sized cans are not overly large. They are meant to sit "on" the ears rather than "around" them.

.......my ears, probably smaller than average(ok; I'm only 5'6" tall)but my ears stick out the top!

Quite small, and very light!

And while they are "open" cans and some folks think they leak a fair amount of sound; I find that if I listen at a reasonable level in a quiet room that I just don't seem to annoy anyone.....at least nobody has ever complained!!

As a matter of fact, I'm listening now(shucks, I'm Always listening!!)and when I take off the cans and listen to the "screen" side, I can only hear some sounds up to about two feet away and I have to really concentrate to hear it!!

Of course I had just posted on another thread about how low I normally listen, so.....

May 4, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 12
Looking at it now, the grados seem a little out of my range, price wise.

The AKG K81 DJs look pretty appealing, bit worried about the size though. 2.7" is quite big for a headphone cup(or whatever they're called). Might look a bit silly in public...

Any chance i could find a picture of them on someones head? There must be one somewhere on the net...

*goes hunting*

May 4, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 12
Well the ksc75 are great, but poorly build.
I have a couple of sennheiser hd 25sp , they are also good cans, and they don´t leak and they even gives you a bit insolation. There is a couple of great reviews of them somewhere in the database if you are interrestet.
I don´t know their price in the UK, but it would around 50£

BTW welcome
orphsmile.gif

May 4, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 12
Thanks technetium, seems like a useful forum to know.

Not sure about the HD-25sps, sennheiser describe them as a set of headphones for recording sound effects outside or something. They don't sound optimised for music. Am i wrong?

Any chance someone with a pair of AKG K81 DJs could take a photo of them on their head? I want to gauge whether the largeness would annoy me.

Please?
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFormulaJam
Any chance someone with a pair of AKG K81 DJs could take a photo of them on their head? I want to gauge whether the largeness would annoy me.

Check the official K81DJ thread. Someone asked the same question and a couple of pictures were posted in response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back