Reccomend me a Subwoofer Setup(Car Audio)
Feb 1, 2012 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Deathdeisel

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, Im looking into adding a good subwoofer for my car, Im in it a lot, and i listen to bass heavy stuff often. 

My car is a 2000 Ford Mustang with mach 460 sound system, and I already have a aftermarket headunit with a woofer plug in, so to my knowledge all ill need is the woofer, cables, and amp. 

I listen to electronic and dubstep a good amount, so im looking to throw down some bass, but not poor sounding or cheap bass. Also not really looking to flood out all the rest of my sound spectrum, just enough to add some serious depth and punch, so i would think just one subwoofer would be good. Two I would think would be unnessecary and just rattle the crap out of my car. 

Budget im not certain on, but im looking for a good quality setup, not some 30$ woofer and a 50$ amp. Im open to suggestions, but i dont need a 1000$ setup either. 

Thanks for any and all help. DD. 

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 11
A 10" fosgate woofer and 200w bridged amp. I put the woofer in a sealed box behind the passenger seat of my Honda sedan. There is no vibration of the car structures but the front-seat passenger can feel it.

I find that car structures, such as the trunk or door, are lousy for audio because they are designed to crumple on impact.  A rigid, sealed enclosure must be somehow added for solid bass.

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
check out the diyma forums for better/any responses.

I'm pretty happy with my pioneer ts-w12prs  / idmax12 / jbl gti mk2

No idea what those last bits mean. Latin? 

Quote:
A 10" fosgate woofer and 200w bridged amp. I put the woofer in a sealed box behind the passenger seat of my Honda sedan. There is no vibration of the car structures but the front-seat passenger can feel it.

I find that car structures, such as the trunk or door, are lousy for audio because they are designed to crumple on impact.  A rigid, sealed enclosure must be somehow added for solid bass.

Hmm, id preferably not have to take up my back seat, just because its not streamlined and flush. It would just bother the hell out of me really. On size i figured around 10" would be good, ive heard if you go too big, its not quick enough, and obviously too small would be not enough.

What does bridged mean in terms of an amp?  Ive also heavily considered taking out one back seat (or atleast the stuffing underneath) and seeing if i could fit a sub in there somehow. Unfortunately my trunk is an even further space than coupes, because i have a convertible, so im not a fan of trunk spaces.  

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 11
Check this company out: Sundown Audio

SA-12 Sub:
http://www.amazon.com/SA-12-D2-Sundown-Audio-Subwoofer/dp/B003ZW80TS

SAX1200D:
http://www.amazon.com/SAX-1200D-Sundown-Audio-Monoblock-Amplifier/dp/B005LY54J2

Take a look around on youtube. Sundown is one of those companies that makes great products but only people in the know have heard of them.

Edit: BTW I would look into doing the "Big 3" upgrade as well.

Feb 4, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 11
Yea but you don't have to turn it up. It will last alot longer then all those store brands and it will satisfy your needs for bass. You could drop woofer size but I picked that setup as it compliments each other. You will not need to buy another system ever again.

Also here is the older model amp still for sale on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/SAZ-1000D-Sundown-1-Channel-Monoblock-Amplifier/dp/B003ZW7KVC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_8

Feb 4, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #11 of 11
I am not too sure of any amps for that price that can do 1 ohm and have the quality that the Sundown has.

It's always good to have that headroom with power so that you are not always pushing the amps limits. The amp is very capable and if you ever upgrade or sell your system the investment will be worth it. Go with the older 1000w amp. It's only 329 and it's a steal at that price.

Also the sub can take 700wrms continous and many people run 1000wrms daily on it. It would be a shame to just buy some 300w Fosgate amp for the sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back