Reccomend Me a Receiver
Sep 2, 2007 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nin3th

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a decent receiver in the sub-$300 price range. I've got Ath-a700s if thats important, and I want something that will last.
Peace.

Sep 3, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #2 of 9
Define 'receiver' as it may mean different things to different people. I assume you mean an integrated amp with a tuner- yes? A headphone output, too?

Vintage Nakamichi STASIS.

Like this:

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/ampli...4_1593crx.aspx

These things can NOT be beat for the money and they are trouble free. Oh, and they sound very impressive! Beats the snot out of your average NAD.

Sep 3, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 9
Yeah, what I'm really looking for is an integrated amp, but I'll be driving some bose 601 series IIs I refurbished, I know they're bose, but you take what you can get.

Sep 3, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #6 of 9
If you can't find a decent used integrated amplifier, here are some recommendations for a new one:

Pioneer Elite A-35R ($200 MSRP, ~$175 street)
NAD C325BEE ($399 MSRP, ~$300 street)
Trends TA-10.1 ($149 MSRP, $149 street)
Sonic Impact T-Amp ($35 MSRP, $25 street)

The latter two amplifiers are the most interesting, since they use class T (tripath) technology. One large downside is that they don't use remote controls, so you'll have to walk up to change the volume. The Trends TA-10.1 in particular won a huge shoot-out among class T amplifiers, many of which were more expensive.

The NAD and Pioneer are more typical amplifiers, with the NAD being on the cold/forward side and the Pioneer on the warm/neutral side.

Sep 3, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #7 of 9
Here is an NAD C320BEE for $300 on Audiogon. I've never heard one but have read good things about it over the years. A Rega Brio would be another choice in about the same price range.

Sep 3, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #8 of 9
I used to have the Pioneer A35R. Loved the warm feeling it had. However it was rather fuzzy and would leave details out of songs even cheaper amps would reveal. The headphone out is quite good with high impendance 'phones. (120 ohm or higher in my experience) As amp for speakers I can't reccommend it because its picky. Only sounds good with certain speakers.

I also have the T-Amp which I reccommend every one buy just because its $25 and gives you a different sound. Low bass but a lot of detail. A sort of ER4S in the amp world I think.

Although currently I prefer Vintage amps. Huge, yes. But the sound is just the way I like it. Very full sounding and not thin like the digital amps I tried out like the XR55 by Panasonic and the Sharp EX111.

Also, I quite like the NAD C320BEE/C325BEE. Nearly everything I plugged into it sounded good. Great amp. Buy that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back