Reccomend FLAT, true sounding headphones for music production (about 100 $ budget)
Nov 28, 2007 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Iamgag7

New Head-Fier
I am looking for some headphones that would be most true to sound as I can get for my budget... what I mean is.. I don't want anything that COLORS the sound i.e. boosts the low end... because I want to make music on these headphones..

I don't want to have to turn the bass down for a set of headphones, then when I play it on speakers, the music would sound flat. don't want that.

I have some in mind alread.. M40fs by audio technica, sony mdr v7506

any more advice?

thanks.

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #3 of 13
The MDR-V6 is one of the least neutral cans I've ever heard. If neutrality is what you're looking for, don't get that one.

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #5 of 13
amp? im sorry i dont understand.. im a little new to the high tech audio scene :| i just have a laptop. whats an amp for?

oh and i read that the AKG240S is the same as AKG240M except that they have been modified so that they will sound louder w/o need for an amp... i dont know, thats what i read...

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #6 of 13
I'd recommend a used AKG K240-M or -DF or sextett (silver rings and plates). For $100 you should have no trouble affording a pair in excellent condition.

The newer K240-S does not meet your specs, from all reports.

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Sinnott /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG k240M. Your profile doesn't say what kind of amp you have. This recommendation presumes you have a good one. They are difficult to drive but I find they meet your criteria.

No, the K240-M is quite easy to drive. Just not with portable gear.

They are 600-ohm headphones with a maximum power handling capability of 200mw - that means 11 volts peak to peak, at iirc 16mA.

That means that a bog standard cmoy with two 9v batteries will rock it's world.

A sound card in a computer may or may not have enough juice for them - most anything else that plugs into the wall will do just fine.

The K240-S has a much larger driver with a much lower impedance, and sounds completely different. It is louder than the K240-M at the same position on the volume knob, but people who've heard both actually say that it's harder to get the K240-S to sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back