Reccomend a entry level Tube Amp
Jun 29, 2011 at 10:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mab1376

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been looking into alot to use with my PC and Turntable, Schiit Valhalla or Lyr, Little Dot MKIII, Darkvoice 3322, or the Woo Audio 6 which is the absolute peak of my budget and would have to really be absolutely worth it to spend that much.

I listen to alot of different music, some Jazz, classic rock, modern rock (Queens of the stone age, Them crooked vultures, Buckethead). as well as alot of old and current industrial/electronic music.

I plan on getting to get some Sennheiser HD650's to use with the tube amp, as well as using it with my Ultrasone's. I'm Also getting some Beyerdynamic DT770 or 880's soon. (Haven't decided yet.)

At first i was looking at the Valhalla, but alot of people say tube rolling isn't and option and i really like being able to customize my equipment and play around with then sound.

I really like the look at the Darkvoice and I plan on using whatever I get as a preamp as well with other equipment.

Let me know you suggestions, I'd really like my first tube amp to be an enjoyable experience.

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #2 of 5
My 2 cents: skip the cheap ones, get the Woo straight up.... because you will upgrade to it eventually anyway.

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #3 of 5
I would recommend the LD Mk. III, both smooth and detailed, but budget for some better driver tubes (e.g. NOS Mullards).

As for the headphones, don't buy the HD650s without hearing the HD600s first. You might be surprised........

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
My 2 cents: skip the cheap ones, get the Woo straight up.... because you will upgrade to it eventually anyway.

That's what i keep thinking, and I like that their HQ is so close to me for repairs/upgrades.

Quote:
I would recommend the LD Mk. III, both smooth and detailed, but budget for some better driver tubes (e.g. NOS Mullards).

As for the headphones, don't buy the HD650s without hearing the HD600s first. You might be surprised........

Really, you think The 600's are better. I'm gonna have to go demo them somewhere then.

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #5 of 5
I decided to go for the Woo AW6 and it's great on my Sennheiser HD650s and then the HD800s.  It's very smooth, has plenty of power and I'm really enjoying it.

I have not regretted my decision after about a year of using it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back