Recapping for better audio!
Mar 30, 2009 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Logistics

500+ Head-Fier
Yay, I finished the full polymer recap on my P4PE!

I was very happy with the results as it did in fact increase the responsiveness of my system. I was really becoming frustrated while surfing sites with heavy flash integration, such as MySpace, because the system would be thinking too hard about what's going on. (you know, you go to click on a link and the mouse cursor doesn't even change to what it should be because it's still dealing with some idiotic flash advertisement) Now, the system responds immediately, and I can scroll around full speed on several sites whereas before it would have chopped and lagged.

This mod certainly didn't turn my old 533fsb P4 into a dual-core, but it is worth the evening I spent doing it. It definitely was not as easy as I had hoped, though. The lead diameters on the polymers tended to be pretty fat compared to the original capacitors, causing me to have to really cram some of them in while heating the VIA's. I WAS worried! But everything worked off the bat. Sorry, I don't know how to use my oscillioscopes, yet so I can't show you any voltage ripple readings, but another person who did this to his P4PE with the same capacitors got the ripple down to, at most, few millivolts on VCORE and VDIMM.

This mod also affected my sound, which I wasn't expecting at all. I went to see how Winamp reacted with Kernel Streaming enabled, which it responded faster to, now! Anyway, the bass is stronger and tighter, and I was up LATE listening to music because I kept listening to tracks I'm accustomed to always listening to and hearing new details and sounds I don't EVER remember hearing before. This made me VERY happy, and I had to keep wondering if I was listening to an alternative version of some songs because of things I don't remember hearing.

One suggestion as to why this happened was that it may have helped clean up the +5V rail tracing around my motherboard. I'm using an SbLive! and not the on-board sound so I can't tell you how big a difference it made int he on-board sound, at the moment.

I have already, previously recapped my power-supply entirely with Panasonic TSED's on the two main-caps and every other cap with Samxon GC/GD and Panasonic FM/FC.

tl:dr I did a full polymer recap to help responsiveness in my system and increase performance, and as a surprise side-effect I increased the listening pleasure of my rig.

Mar 31, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 5
It's my Pentium 4 motherboard.
A new staff? You mean like in WoW with +INT and such?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 5
If your using the old SB Live, one of the best things you can do to improve sound on that card is use the KX project drivers.

I think he may mean new STUFF.....perhaps he means a new soundcard.

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #5 of 5
Yes, I agree about the kX drivers. At the moment, I'm only using Creative drivers because I want sound in WoW to work, correctly. My old Live! that I broke from modding too much had films for decoupling caps. Good sound, fun stuff!
biggrin.gif
Someday, I'd like to consider a real music card; maybe an ESI Juli@ or something. I have a project system I'm going to put together after I recap the motherboard, meant soley for powering my MDR-V700's over a recapped SB16, a sort of listening station, if you will. Will put a thread up as soon as possible.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back