Recabling tutorials/info?
Aug 3, 2008 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

googan

Head-Fier
Hi guys and gals,

I've been unsuccessfully looking for resources/information about DIY recabling projects, so hopefully some of you will be kind enough to point me in the right direction.

I own a pair of HD555s and D1001s. I've read that the Denons take very well to even a cheap new cable and that is what got me interested in doing this. However my Denons are new and under warranty so I'm thinking maybe I should use the HD555s as a first project. Do the 555s respond well to recabling? If not, I'll just recable the Denons.

I'm looking for good cable suggestions for both cans (materials/parts, manufacturers, links to stores, links to articles/posts, whatever!
smily_headphones1.gif
). Also want to learn about cables in general. I should mention that I'm hoping this will be a good bang-for-the-buck modification so I'm not looking for the best, but the most cost-effective materials. In other words I'm poor
tongue.gif

And finally, I'm looking for some kind of tutorial on how to do this whole project if one exists. Basically, all I know right now is that there's desoldering/soldering involved. I have a cheapo 30 or 35W iron that i bought from Sears to do the x-fi opamp mod. Would that suffice? What other tools would I need? What type of solder should I use? Which plugs are good (and why)? What else do I need to know? Is all this worth it?
tongue.gif

Any and all help appreciated

Aug 3, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #3 of 6
Canare and Mogami quad are both very nice, fairly cheap, and therefore popular cables for recable jobs. These, as well as plugs can be bought from markertek.com.
I'm not trying to discredit anyone, but remember that these review's are people's opinions, which may very well be driven by sheer anticipation, expectation, placebo effect, so just be careful how much stock you put into these claims of miracle-cures to a headphone's shortcomings
cheers
beerchug.gif

Aug 3, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Postal_Blue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look at the stickies in this very sub forum. 2 in particular should be helpful.

Yup, I'm slowly making my way through those threads
ph34r.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Canare and Mogami quad are both very nice, fairly cheap, and therefore popular cables for recable jobs. These, as well as plugs can be bought from markertek.com.
I'm not trying to discredit anyone, but remember that these review's are people's opinions, which may very well be driven by sheer anticipation, expectation, placebo effect, so just be careful how much stock you put into these claims of miracle-cures to a headphone's shortcomings
cheers
beerchug.gif

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm checking them out now.
But .. are you saying my d1001s won't become d2000s??
confused_face(1).gif

seriously though, I'm curious to know how cost-efficient a recabling really is since as you alluded too, opinions vary wildly on this board. In most cases I figure it's probably smarter to trade up to a better, stock phone than to mod an existing one, especially for lower end cans. It's just that I've heard a few people recommend a recabling of the d1000s and I got all excited
tongue.gif

Aug 3, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 6
I and many others consider cables the last 5% Find phones/amp/source before you start worrying to mach about cables for sq sake. Now if you want to recable for usability or for the fun/experience of it then by all means.

Aug 4, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 6
I want to recable my ER-4P as the cable is seriously harming my enjoyment of these fine IEMs. I'm trying to find appropriate wire to do the job with, but I also need to fabricate some kind of connector to affix them to the driver tubes.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back