Recabling the HD595
May 30, 2005 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

devwild

1000+ Head-Fier
I was wondering if anyone has actually made the attempt to recable their HD595s. I've thought about it for ages, but I've been waiting for sennheiserusa to get the replacement part in stock so I don't have to use my own cable or try to make a connector like theirs (they told me it would be in stock last month but still nothing.
frown.gif
). I'm a bit worried that without some help, it might be a wasted effort, my shakey hands are like a fish out of water with soldering sometimes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I know headroom does a recable, but I have no interest in spending that much money on a cable (that much money is almost always better spent elsewhere, and these aren't my primary cans any more), nor do I like that they do it as a "mystery upgrade" you send in and they hack - for something that is a user replacible part. Plus the cardas cable seems like it would be a bit heavy.

I'm not looking for a big sound upgrade, I just really hate the stock 595 cable.
smily_headphones1.gif
I want to maintain the current sq or improve it a little, and have a cable that is actually managable.

(FYI, I know that headphile is mentioned in other posts in this forum as doing a 595 cable. He doesn't, it was a typo, I asked him a long time ago. I wish he did - I would probably go that route in a heartbeat. Larry is a great guy.)

I was mainly wondering if anyone had successfully done this recable and could post pictures/impressions, but any help is appreciated as well.

Jul 12, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhlbbs
This from Headphiles web site :

Now available, Senn V2 replacement cables for HD-580, HD-600 and HD-650 headphones. I use brand new Senn 650 connectors, which will also fit 580-600 and HD25.

http://www.headphile.com/page17.html

Unless I dont read english correctly that should also cover 595, but I don't know for a fact.

That's wrong. The HD5x5 series uses a single sided cable, not a Y-cable like the ones you mentioned.

I don't know of an upgrade cable besides the expensive one Headroom offers but would be interested too.

Jul 12, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 10
I'd be interested as well--I'd just like something heavier, as the light cable seems to snag more easily. Also, the noxious baby blue of the Headroom Cardas job just puts me off my lunch.

tongue.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 10
Until I get a 595 on trade or something, I won't know what's possible with them. I do know that single sided entry while convienent and such, signal wise it's a bad idea to me. I've yet to see a can that uses anything decent to run to the right side or let alone that matches the main run. If it's not dual entry, I'd either make it that way or pass all together. Anything less than having the same cable type and length to both drivers doesn't make finacial sense for the customer as an upgrade to me...

Jul 13, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777
Anything less than having the same cable type and length to both drivers doesn't make finacial sense for the customer as an upgrade to me...

Realizing of course that it's an easier cable to make, despite what you say here you make a 590 cable which is single sided. That, I think, is why many people would think you are willing. Based on the design of the headbands, I would guess the connecting cable is similar or the same between the drivers for these two headphones.

The 595 has an almost identical connector to the HD280 if you have seen that. It's 4 pin internal and would require some handywork to support the cable as it is now (I would like to see the details of headroom's recable for this reason). Directions for replacing the cable are available online if you want to see some detail shots.

To most people recabling isn't really financially justifiable to begin with for the minor change it creates (or for cardas cable, the insane price). I think most 595 owners in look of a recable are like me... the stock cable just sucks and we want something better - as much for build quality and feel as for any possible (possibly imagined) sound improvement. That's why I'm looking to DIY modify it. Most folks doing their own grado recables seem to be in the same boat.

Of course, the part still hasn't shown at sennheiser usa after several months, despite what I was told.

Cheers

Jul 13, 2005 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild
Realizing of course that it's an easier cable to make, despite what you say here you make a 590 cable which is single sided. That, I think, is why many people would think you are willing. Based on the design of the headbands, I would guess the connecting cable is similar or the same between the drivers for these two headphones.

The 595 has an almost identical connector to the HD280 if you have seen that. It's 4 pin internal and would require some handywork to support the cable as it is now (I would like to see the details of headroom's recable for this reason). Directions for replacing the cable are available online if you want to see some detail shots.

To most people recabling isn't really financially justifiable to begin with for the minor change it creates (or for cardas cable, the insane price). I think most 595 owners in look of a recable are like me... the stock cable just sucks and we want something better - as much for build quality and feel as for any possible (possibly imagined) sound improvement. That's why I'm looking to DIY modify it. Most folks doing their own grado recables seem to be in the same boat.

Of course, the part still hasn't shown at sennheiser usa after several months, despite what I was told.

Cheers

Can you take a picture of the inside of the 595? I will be recabling another pair of HD280's and can provide pictures and such, but I will not write up a how-to. I am already behind on a how-to for head-fi and soldering irons.

Also here is another recent post about recabling 595's.
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126855

-Alex-

Jul 13, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip
Can you take a picture of the inside of the 595?

If I remember/have time tonight I will
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #10 of 10
The Headroom HD 595 Cardas recable also replaces the cable that goes through the headband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back