Recabling simplified?
Aug 27, 2012 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Vargulf

Head-Fier
Hi I have a pair of AT Esw9's which had custom cables. However I had an accident and one side got ripped. After a lot of trouble shooting with me blaming a 'broken' driver it looks like the cable itsself is faulty.
I want to maintain best sound quality but it will be my first ever recabling. Anyone suggest a cable type? Is it very expensive to have it done due to being time consuming? Brisbane Sound Group look like charging over $150 for it. Can you get a cable that is allready all set up and just needs to be soldered to the drivers? That's really what I need lol

Cheers

Aug 30, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #2 of 3
I'm looking for something like this, too. I've scoured the internets and as far as I can tell no one is making anything like a replacement headphone cable unless it's like $200 or more. I'm big into sound but as a lifelong audiophile I also know that  the human ear will never, ever be able to tell the difference between a $300 cable and a $50 one. (a $10 one, yes, sure) As long as its good copper and oxygen free it should be fine. At least for my purposes.

I need to recable my iGrado's and since these will primarily be used listening to MP3 and other digital media of dubious source quality I don't really care if the cable is made in a sterile environment by master German engineers using copper mined from the surface of some distant planet. I just want a decent quality headphone cable with pig tail ends that I can solder onto these drivers. Radio Shack used to carry them when I worked there in the early 90's but those days are long gone.

DOesn't anyone make a decent, reasonably good quality headphone cable any more? My next step is going to buy a cheap pair of phones or some quality coaxial audio cable and a 1/8" plug and making one myself. Somebody must sell one, though. Any ideas guys?

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for all the PM's everyone. I found a decent quality 1/8" stereo to dual RCA cable in my big box of cables. I decided that since I already have a nice gold plated oxygen free one attached to my home theater there really wasn't any need to keep this one around. Chopped the RCA's and separated the poles. Got her soldered onto the drivers and everything put back together in less than half an hour. The thicker, better quality wire has definitely made the treble much more dynamic and brought it to the forefront a lot more. I've been listening to some hard rock and jazz and both sound much better as the bass no longer overshadows the cymbals. Thanks for all your input. I'm just glad I was able to recable these essentially for free. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back