recabling sennheiser headphones
Feb 25, 2009 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

spacejay

New Head-Fier
i have these sennheiser headphones which i want to recable and hardwire into my headphone amp. the trouble is that i don't know which pin is signal and which is ground (see pic).

http://i44.tinypic.com/1zcip3a.jpg

does anyone know or can anyone tell me if there will be any damage incurred if i try to do it by luck, get it wrong and connect signal at amp to ground on phones?

Feb 25, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 7
The one with a color (red, green.. whatever) is always the signal. The other copper colored one is always ground
smily_headphones1.gif
Just use a 50 watt soldering iron and everything will work out great.
Forgive my curiosity, but why would you hardwire your headphone into the amp?

Anyway, please post pics when the job is done!
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 7
If you get the wrong one the speaker will be out of phase. Don't think it will be damaged...
You can also use a multimeter to check.

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 7
This is when having a multimeter comes in very handy too, because you could put a probe for example on the tip of the connector, put the other probe on the left phone and when the other probe touches the signal terminal, you'll hear something (using a multimeter in continuity mode). Do the same thing for the right phone (ring on the connector) and then make sure your recabling job was done well by testing the signal and ground connections.

Multimeters are cheap and there are a ton on tutorials online that can show you how to use them.

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there has to be like 3 threads already with people asking which color is +/- for recabling sennheisers...

did a search. couldn't find an answer to my question. now there is like, 4 threads.

thanks to those who answered my question, appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back