Recabling or Reshelling a broken Westone 3
Jan 6, 2013 at 6:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mitkooo

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone, 

I am not exactly sure if this threat belongs here or in the IEM section, so I'm going to give it a shot, please, forgive me if it's not in the right one. 

I have a pair of Westone 3, which I love to every bit, until the day that the right ear stopped working. Upon inspection I found out that it's probably the end that goes into the tip that is faulty, since it might work sometime when I move the cable around. So I did my research and apart from buying a replacement pair from Westone, I have two options:

1) send it to BTG Audio and ask Bryan to mod them into a pair of IEM with replaceable cable, which would cost me around 110$

2) send it to Unique Melody and have them reshelled (which I read somewhere should do the trick) and that would cost me I think around 180$+

3) ? Maybe just sell them for cheaper and get a different pair of IEMs (thinking of VSonic gr07)

I am by no means an expert in this field, rather, quite a newbie on head-fi, so I'd rather ask you guys for your opinion. What do you thin is a better solution/ is there another alternative/ or should I just sell them and get a different pair? 

Thanks so much for any help, I hope someone can help me.

Mitko

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 3
Theres also fisher inearz in the states who will re-shell it for $90 + $30 for removeable cable +$35 for shipping.  You would also have to factor in cost of impressions and postage to the states.  Worth bearing in mind that apparantly btg is backed up fairly solidly right now so may be worth firing them an email to find out the wait time.

If it cheers you up any I was loving my W3's as well right up until they were still in the trousers that went in the wash :frowning2:

Cheers

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 3
Yeah, I think the reshell costs would be quite a bit, together with impressions, but I wouldn't really mind if the benefits of a custom mould pay off. 
I wouldn't actually mind a long waiting time with BTG, since I got a pair of VSonic GR06 as a temporary earphone (actually damn good temporary). 

Thanks Davidcotton for the reply. Both options would cost me about 80 pounds and above, so that's why I'm considering if a different pair of IEMs would be better (After all, I like to test out new stuff :D ) What would you do given the choice? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back