Recabling my MDR-V7 out of necessity
Nov 24, 2008 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

thoughtcriminal

100+ Head-Fier
On closer inspection, it appears the last owners of my V7 headphones did not take good care of them. The 3.5mm plug is bent and there appears to be bite marks in the cable insulation.

So, to increase the life of the phones, as well as to avoid damage to my equipment (from the bent plug), I've decided a recable is needed asap.

Two problems though. 1. I've never recabled anything before and I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. 2. With christmas coming up, I don't have much spare cash, so I've got to do this cheaply. But I cannot lose any sound quality.

What are my options? I figure I will need about 10 feet of cable to allow the one sided design to stay.

Also, is there some way I can add rca or some other connectors to the headphones to allow for a removable cable? Or will this kill my sound quality? I don't want to add too much weight either, especially to just one side.

Budget is $25 for just a recable, $35 for a removable cable. Will this allow for good enough parts to at the least not lose any sound? What are the suggested parts within such a budget?

And is there a recabling guide somewhere here on head-fi? I could use all the help I can get.

Thanks
tc

Nov 24, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 7
The Mogami and Canare Mini Quads fit PERFECTLY with the openings for the MDR-V6 and V7. (I just recabled 3 sets for the university using these two Miniquads).

Get the larger opening (0.25) for this time around since the standard opening is extremely tight and could be hard to deal with without marring the cable.

Actually, this is the first and only time when I have heard the Canare Mini Quad sound better than the Mogami Neglex. It was a bit more "open" sounding than the Neglex, same level of detail. Maybe it has to do with the nature of the headphones themselves. Meh.

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the solder and iron used have a noticeable effect on the sound?

No. Unless of course you manage to heat the driver up and do damage.

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the solder and iron used have a noticeable effect on the sound?

Maybe. Good solder points will have no difference in sound, but bad will make some short.

Nov 25, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 7
Just get a cheap solder kit online, should be pretty cheap and come with some 60/40 solder which will work fine. I use silver solder, but with miniquad and those headphones it shouldn't make any difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back