Recabling my headphones
Jan 28, 2013 at 10:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

liquidzoo

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm getting ready to purchase the parts I need to make a shorter cable for my K240s, but I need some advice:

1) Assuming I don't strip off the outer casing, which cable is going to have the most flex (more like the original cable)?  From what I've read, Mogami W2893 seems to be the cable of choice, along with Canare (but which Canare 4-core?)

2) Again assuming I don't strip off the outer casing, will the above cable fit inside this plug (or this one)?

3) Are there any decent quality right angle plugs that are smaller than this one?  It seems like the jacket is really long.

4) How much more cable would I need to buy should I decide to strip off the outer casing and braid it?  I'm planning on making the cable ~5ft, maybe 4, though I had planned on buying 10 feet of cable.

I will likely have follow up questions based on the answers to the above.

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
I'm getting ready to purchase the parts I need to make a shorter cable for my K240s, but I need some advice:

1) Assuming I don't strip off the outer casing, which cable is going to have the most flex (more like the original cable)?  From what I've read, Mogami W2893 seems to be the cable of choice, along with Canare (but which Canare 4-core?)

2) Again assuming I don't strip off the outer casing, will the above cable fit inside this plug (or this one)?

3) Are there any decent quality right angle plugs that are smaller than this one?  It seems like the jacket is really long.

4) How much more cable would I need to buy should I decide to strip off the outer casing and braid it?  I'm planning on making the cable ~5ft, maybe 4, though I had planned on buying 10 feet of cable.

I will likely have follow up questions based on the answers to the above.

If you do an Internet search for "recabling headphones", I'm sure you will find people who have shared the details on their recabling experiances.

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
u might be ended up stripping the outer jacket.
both mogami and canare would be too thick for the mini xlr plugs

I bought one of the large cable plugs from Redco, but you're right looking at the specs.  If I have to, I'll drill it out slightly and put some adhesive backed heatshrink on it (probably should do that part anyway).

Jan 31, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 6
I got all of the parts today, so that's no problem.  I know what goes where, so that too is no issue.

But I do have one rather puzzling issue:

Based on my (somewhat limited) trial and error with my multimeter, I have determined the pinout on the mini-xlr to be

1 - Gnd (S)
2 - Ring
3 - Tip

However, in reading all over the internet, it seems that pins 2 and 3 should be reversed (3 being Ring, 2 being Tip).

Can someone please confirm the proper way for me to solder this together?  I want to make sure that I get it right.  I was confident that I knew which pins would connect to what part on the TRS, but the diagrams and forum posts I've seen make me think that somehow I've either gotten it wrong or AKG wired it up in a non-standard way.

See:  http://www.taperssection.com/reference/pdf/DIY_CableDiagram_connettori.pdf
Or http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/connection/xlr-jack-stereo.html

Edit:

Apparently AKG is really fond of reversing the R/L wires.  I found this for the K271's and it seems to validate what I see with my K240s.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/55290/wiring-help-for-diy-akg-k271-headphone-cable < Post 6 specifically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back