Recabling my E2C's
Dec 31, 2007 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kawasakiguy37

New Head-Fier
The cable on my E2c's has gotten pretty bad (only works when I hold it in a certain position). Ive never re cabled headphones before but I wasn't able to find any guides and whatnot for the E2C's here. Also, where should I go to a get a decent yet cheap cable (radioshack?). It doesn't need to be anything amazing, I dont have that much money in the first place (poor college student). I plan on upgrading eventually when I have the money anyways. Thanks.

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 13
Recabling an IEM is rather tricky business since the body of the IEM is typically glued together. Prying them apart without causing damage is the trick. As for wire, Navships on eBay sells very good wire at very good prices. For an IEM I would recommend 28 AWG or perhaps even smaller. You'll have 2 wires going to each side so you need to decide if you are going to sleeve it or twist the two together till the Y junction. Then you can litz braid the 4 wires, sleeve it then terminate it with the plug of your choice. All this can be done for not a lot of money - perhaps around $20 or so.

You might want to check the Stickys on this board and do some searches there to see if anyone has worked on E2Cs before.

Jan 3, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 13
Shure's cable problems are well-known. If u frequent the main forum, lots of ppl would tell u Shure will replace for free, warranty or not. Just tell them you are from head-fi.org, and hey I know about the cable problem and I need relief!

But if yer gonna recable, am fond of the iPod's stock bud cable myself. If u don't mind white.

Jan 3, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 13
I don't care to deal with shure anymore, I don't ever plan on buying their crap again. If they can get some cables that don't go to hell after 3-6 months of contact with body oils, then maybe.

I'm just looking for some project to do, and I figured, why the heck not try and recable my E2C's, I don't use them anymore so I don't care if I destroy them in the process. But if it's successful I will have a backup pair, or something that people can try out.

Thanks for the info posted so far
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #9 of 13
i recabled my scl2/e2c
img6534zq9.jpg

First prep your wire, get the polarity right, then open the ear piece (cut wire all the way down, insert needle nose into opening and pry away, atleast one side will pop off), get the polarity right, unsolder, resolder, and reassemble with super glue. i also suggest kramer modding em, just take a small screw driver which fits into the nozzle and pry the damn donut thing off

>< i should have done a photo essay walkthrough thing...tho if anyone has a broken set ill see if i can do a recable if i find diy parts

Feb 25, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 13
that's cool, at least I know it's possible now!

I have never done a recable before and would like to,
but i am yet to find any general recabling guide,
do you remember know where you learned to do it?

Feb 25, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #12 of 13
I still have a 117 cm 30awg SPC wire left for someone to use!
It's 88 cm from begin to y-split, and 29 cm from y-split to end. It's a four wire flatbraid from beginning to y-split, then 1cm of heatshrink, and then twisted to the end.
I never got around to use it, since I find it too stiff for real portable use (I really like my wires to be super flexible).
So if anyone wants it, drop me a PM and some money for the shipping and I'll send it to ya
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #13 of 13
Sorry to bring an old one back- my e3c's now have cable insulation cracking problems. I originally had a pair of e2's, which cracked around the ear portion. They offered to replace the cables, admitting to the problem, but I never sent them in, as I damaged them after the fact on top of the defect. Now I have e3c's, less than a year of total use, and same thing.

Now I live in Germany, so I have to see how they handle it, and then get something local in place, like cx 300's, or some cheaper Shures...

I wish I knew how to control this, either by cleaning, armor all, or something, but it seems futile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back