Recabling K701s for balanced... need help choosing cable
Feb 23, 2009 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Dr. Strangelove

100+ Head-Fier
Here are the specs I want it to meet:
-22 or 24 awg
-2 conductors per jacket
-preferably dual jacketed or bonded pair.

I want to go balanced, which means I need a cable that can carry 4 conductors total. I do not want to use quad cable (two channels of unshielded audio in the "same room" doesn't sound good imo).

Here are two of my picks:

Belden 1504A/9451d
Belden-1504A-U1000-J77.gif

1504A.jpg

This conductor has two shielded cables bonded together. Think of it like speaker cable. This makes it easy to work with however the cable is wider vs the standard quad cable.

Belden 8728/9402
31DGDchEjgL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

belden.jpg

So this is a two-in-one package: two shielded cables inside a shielded cable.
Problem being that when I cut off the jacket so I can split to L and R, the shield will be showing for the wires going to L and R. Not sure how I can fix that (Want to keep shielding to the entry points). The 9402 does not have shielding outside the pair of connectors.

Both of these cables use beldfoil shielding.

I know pretty much nada when it comes to re-cabling. I know enough about soldering to preform the task of connecting wires and connectors, but I am ignorant to everything else. What is heat-shrink? Do I need techflex? Are my cable choices even suitable for this application?

I am starting to wonder if these cables are too think for headphone use. I don't move around a lot but they might be quite heavy... should I just go with regular quad cable?

Thanks to everyone who provides input.

Feb 23, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd rather go with the Mogami Neglex.

x2.
There really is no need to shield your headphone cables.

Feb 24, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2.
There really is no need to shield your headphone cables.

Eh a matter of opinion I think.

Anyway, I am thinking about using two Belden 1800F cables twisted and sleeved in braided nylon. Then use heatshrink to seal up openings. Balanced dual XLR of course.

Any thoughts on this?

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #7 of 9
It has been destroyed, so to speak.
Plus the thing is a piece of junk anyways. No shielding, dinky wires, gets twisted up easily.
In any case, I am thinking about selling them, and re-cabled/balanced sells for more.

To re-iterate: I want to take two cables, twist 'em, sleeve them in nylon filament, heat-shrink the y splits (To XLR connectors and headphones). I figure the heat-shrink at both ends will keep the twist in the cable, am I right? Do I have to use adhesive or something?

Feb 24, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has been destroyed, so to speak.
Plus the thing is a piece of junk anyways. No shielding, dinky wires, gets twisted up easily.
In any case, I am thinking about selling them, and re-cabled/balanced sells for more.

Don't expect too much. Unless you find your perfect nutter people are generally not willing to pay a lot more for recable jobs. In any case I would think the recable job is more than what you would get back in return. It won't be profitable imo.

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #9 of 9
Hmm

Well in that case I could just order a new cable from AKG, and use this recable setup for a more permanent phone.

Though I would really love input from someone who has re-cabled headphones using two SEPARATE cables vs. one quad star.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back