Recabling K701: Looking for an affordable and reliable service
Aug 1, 2007 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

toopeach

New Head-Fier
Although there are some who offer K701 recabling service, almost all of these services cost well over $300-350 (I know DIY kit but I am not sure I can make it).

Is there any affordable (below $300) and reliable service provider there? Otherwise I will go for getting a stock HD 650!
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks in advance.

Aug 1, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out http://apuresound.com/
http://apuresound.com/images/cables/hk701.html

Im planning to get my Denons recabled by Alex. His communication is excellent he answered all my questions within 24 hours. His cable building skills are the best i've seen and shouldn't cost you over 250USD.

$250 is the cheapest I saw so far, which is, unfortunately, the same I paid for my K701.

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a reason why recabling in general - especially the K701s - is expensive.

What might that reason be?

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #8 of 12
$250? What does Moon Audio charge? I got a 601 with Blue Dragon and like it better than the 701 stock lol. Still doesn't extend as much but is tighter and more toe-tappish for me.

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by edb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$250 is the cheapest I saw so far, which is, unfortunately, the same I paid for my K701.

& your point? Recabling is expensive un less you know how to do it yourself.

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 12
What would the parts and labour cost ratio be for an average recabling job? I don't think a cable costs that much (depends on the cable of course, valhalla will surely be expensive).

Aug 3, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by watchluvr4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What might that reason be?

I'll try not to get too detailed...

AKG uses the wire in the two compression bands to carry the signal and ground from the right to the left side. If you keep the recabling to the stock one sided left entry you can use this but then you have an imbalance of the type of wiring to each driver. Not a very big deal but goes against the OCD in me.
tongue.gif
Offering proper strain relief on a K701 recable is also a bit tricky.

Now if you go to a direct driver recable then it becomes a whole lot more fun.
wink.gif
The internal support that AKG uses for stock strain relief is asymmetrical. Notice how the left entry is not bottom center. It is oriented towards the rear. That support is oriented towards the front on the right side. To me, it looks funky to have one wire going into the back on the left side and the front on the right. You also will have to cut a hole. And, again, there is the challenge of strain relief.

The reason why recabling is expensive is not just the wiring being used. I typically use SPC wire which is inexpensive but yields terrific results. What I'm primarily charging for when I do recables is my attention to detail. If you want a recable job to look good and professional and to last there is time and effort needed towards the details. Anyone can take a soldering iron and replace some cables but it'll look like crap and probably not last.

Working on something like the K701s is time consuming and requires a certain level of knowledge, experience and craftsmanship. That is why it is expensive.

Aug 3, 2007 at 11:10 AM Post #12 of 12
Fair enough, thanks for the explanation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back