Recabling, hit a snag. A couple questions about soldering.
May 19, 2013 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

GustoGaiden

New Head-Fier
Hey folks!

I want to recable, but can't seem to breathe life into a pair of practice headphones.

About 8 years ago, on recommendations from you fine folks, I bought some Sennheiser 595's. They were as great as you said they would be! After years of abuse, they still sound great, but the cable has been through a lot, and needs to be replaced. I've got some mogami quad cable, some 3.5mm connector plugs, a solder sucker, and a good soldering iron. I'm all set to do the job, but I figure I'd better get some practice before the main event.

I opened up a pair of $10 cans, and removed the old wires. I cut a short section of cable for practice, and soldered up a plug to one end. It worked great! A multimeter confirmed that the wires were transmitting signal, and when I plugged it in, and held the bare wires to the plug of a functional set of headphones, sound came through. Half done! However, I can't seem to get a connection through to the old drivers. When I touch bare (tinned) wire to the solder pads, no sound is produced. Even after soldering, the multimeter confirms signal is making it to the solder joint, but no sound is produced.

Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?

To remove the old wires, I held the soldering tip to the pad, and used the solder sucker. The pad looks mostly clean, with a film of shiny metal still left behind. Is this clean enough to establish a new connection? Do I need to use sandpaper, or flux to clean off the pad? Have I held the soldering iron on the pad for too long, melting the connection from the pad to the driver? Is there a way to check the pads using a multimeter, or some other tool?

I'm totally new to soldering, and recabling. I thought I had a pretty solid handle on it, but I'm running into a little snag. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

May 21, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 3
Use your multimeter(continuity or resistance) to check between the pads where the audio cable connects. That will check the pad to drive connections. Check the cable from the 3.5mm plug to the end that connects to the driver. Maybe post a picture, that may help us with the troubleshooting.

May 21, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 3
Could have a cold joint, ensure that u don't move the wires while the solder cools. Reflow ur joints,. Pictures would be nice too as the other user stated :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back