Recabling headphones (Grado)
Jul 15, 2009 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kusoXhage

New Head-Fier
I've finally built enough courage to stat my journey to begin modding my Grado. I have some knowledge on soldering, but am very inexperienced. Any recommendations on what cables and jacks I should get will be deeply appreciated. And I'm trying to make it detachable.

Jul 15, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 4
I have no intel for you on how to make it detachable, but on the plug, use either a Switchcraft for 3.5mm (1/8") or a Furutech for 6.3mm (1/4").
What is the budget you have for the recable and what Grado are we talking about?

Jul 15, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 4
As one newbie to another I think I can pass on some advice I have gleaned from this board.
Bonthouse mentioned two very popular plugs and I would like to add the 3.5mm and 6.3mm plugs from Neutrik.

Regarding cables, there are several distinct options as I see it. The first is to buy silver plated copper wire (ebay is a popular seller) and to braid for lengths together. Another option is to buy a quad cable buy Canare or Mogami and split the cable at some point so that you have two conductors going to each side. This route is "arguably" the cheapest and is very popular, however, I am afraid that, in stripping the pvc jacket and stripping the cable, I will nick something and destroy a perfectly good length of cable. I will probably go the star quad route because the jacket, insulation and fillers used in star quad cables make the cable thicker, stronger and allow it to flex.

Jul 16, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 4
I have the Grado SR-60's and for my budget... well, I'm not really too sure how much "a lot" is, but I do not want to spend too much. I really don't need the top of the line equipment, but at the same time I also do not want to invest in crappy stuff. I'm hoping this is making sense.

Anyways, my first question is there a difference between the plug size? Does it change anything? And whenever I do recable, do I just dispose the cable that the original Grado's came with? And one more question, what website or store should I buy these things? I live in the US if this makes anything better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back