Recabling HD650s, worth it even if not going balanced?
Sep 12, 2007 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Varcharz

Head-Fier
I cannot afford a balanced set up, but I've heard rave reviews about recabled HD650s.

Is it worth the money (and what kind of money are we talking) to recable them even if they're not going to be balanced?

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 16
yes. very much so. you've got several tiers. equinox and RAL are considered the top of the heap for most.

edit: equinox and RAL at 9ft are around 200-250. then you have Zu, Oehlbach, Moon Dragons (Silver, Black), headphile cables, and other misc smaller names and of course DIY.

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 16
A recable definitely makes a differernce, but source and amp should be considered first priorities if you want your Senns to sound better. Your amp choice will probably make the biggest difference.

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 16
"what is the best amp for hd650? i just need the SQ, dont care much for portability."

You are in luck, many amps excel in driving the 650's. Take your pick, and price point.

- Ray Samuels Audio
- Woo Audio
- SinglePower
- Heed
- Original Master
- Little Dot
- Headroom
- Meier Audio
- Gram Slee
. . . . . . . . . . . and many more.

- augustwest

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 16
I did extended A/B listening last night using 650s with the stock cable and with a 580 cable. Then did the same thing with 580s using both cables. Source was lossless files through Foobar (kernel streaming) into Cardas interconnect into AV-710 (high qual outs) into Meier amp.

I thought I could hear a bit of difference between the two cables but after a round of blindfolded testing it turns out I was seeing the difference, not hearing it. Blindfolded, I could not tell them apart.

Have thought about trying a Zu Mobius on their 60-day trial period, but if I don't find a difference between a 580 and 650 cable, is there any chance I will find a difference with a "gourmet" cable?

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 16
Absolutely, there is a huge improvement on HD650 with the right cable - Zu or Moon Audio SD. Of course if your rig consist of iPod and some entry level portable amp, you want to look for improvement somewhere else.

Sep 13, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A recable definitely makes a differernce, but source and amp should be considered first priorities if you want your Senns to sound better. Your amp choice will probably make the biggest difference.

X2. A cable upgrade can make a difference but having a good amp is a must to properly drive the 650s.

Sep 13, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #9 of 16
I am also interested to know when I should recable. I have HD-650's with a Headroom Micro amp. Is it more worthwhile to recable, or buy a DAC? I have some good sources but they are coming from RCA's, an iPod or my notebook. I have a PS3, a computer with an optical out too, where should I go with this?

Sep 14, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by beemer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also interested to know when I should recable. I have HD-650's with a Headroom Micro amp. Is it more worthwhile to recable, or buy a DAC? I have some good sources but they are coming from RCA's, an iPod or my notebook. I have a PS3, a computer with an optical out too, where should I go with this?

Cables are the last stage of upgraditis and are tweaks at best even on the most expensive systems. Don't spend money on them until you have a source that costs $$$ and everything else is high-end too.

Sep 14, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cables are the last stage of upgraditis and are tweaks at best even on the most expensive systems. Don't spend money on them until you have a source that costs $$$ and everything else is high-end too.

Although I would be the last one to tell you not to recable the HD650's, I must agree with Asr that recabling should be near the end of the upgrade path. The HD650's are a devil to drive properly and seem to benefit tremendously from a good amp. Then I would make sure your source is good. Remember, "garbage in, garbage out." Then, go for a good cable (I recommend the Moon Audio Silver Dragon) and interconnects for the system. Finally, a good power conditioner and power cables.

The biggest thing to strive for is patience. Save for awhile and eventually get something good rather than spend your money quickly and foolishly. You will end up with a much better system and, in the end, may actually spend less money as you have not bought equipment or accessories that you end up not liking or quickly upgrading from.

Sep 14, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #12 of 16
So what kind of amp should I strive for? How much money are we talking about? A PS3 is not a good enough source via optical cable to a good DAC? What do you guys think of the micro amp?

Sep 14, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #13 of 16
I agree with the general wisdom that recabling should come only after component upgrades. However, at the same time if you are at a point where the next upgrade would be a jump of a several hundred dollars a cable upgrade might be something to think about. There is also one other factor that may or may not be material to you. I recently sent in my K701 to get recabled because portability is important to me. In my current system I can't component upgrade anymore without losing portability. So a cable upgrade for me is a worthwhile investment.

Sep 15, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #14 of 16
Sennheiser USA show the same cable, product H-92885 or Item 092885, used for 650s as for HD265, HD535, HD545, HD565, HD580 & HD600.

Sugarinthegourd says "I did extended A/B listening last night using 650s with the stock cable and with a 580 cable. Then did the same thing with 580s using both cables. .. Blindfolded, I could not tell them apart."

Do the 650s really use the same cables as 600, 580 etc ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back